News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sheldon's Layout

Started by Grumpy468, July 07, 2020, 11:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grumpy468

Started adding some filler trees. Don't want to interfere with the power lines when I add them to the poles.

We Are What Your Mother Warned you about.

Grumpy468

Was an eventful weekend. Still need to add more details. Once I add people and picnic tables, and. barrels.

4311wade

Awesome layout!
Could you tell me your process for posting photos on this forum? I'm still trying to figure it out.
Thanks.

Yard Master

Quote from: 4311wade on August 21, 2023, 06:46:15 AMAwesome layout!
Could you tell me your process for posting photos on this forum? I'm still trying to figure it out.
Thanks.
Hi 4311wade,

You will need to first upload your photos to an external file/photo uploading service such as Google Drive or Flickr. Then, when writing your post, to add the image you need to click the "Insert an image" icon in the toolbar (next to the YouTube icon) and paste the direct URL for the image in the field. Click "insert" and your image should then appear.

Grumpy468

I have been so busy with work, that I have not had a chance to work on my layout. I am into a lot of tedious stuff now, trees shrubs getting power poles and street lites correct. there are lots of details to get right. poles need to be in the correct direction and location so I can do power drops to buildings etc.

Ken Huck

That's some nice 'eye candy' you got going Sheldon.  Love them poles ! ! !

Ken

Grumpy468

Added some fence I made, some static grass, and a couple more trees. Slowly filling in a bit at a time.

Grumpy468

Added some more trees, grass and shrubs. I added a few details to the tanks. It just blows me away how much a few details add to the overall look.

Grumpy468

Added 2 more trees behind the main office. that helped fill things in. I am going to slowly add flowers etc see how it looks.

Grumpy468

Adding details makes a big difference.I started adding some extra bottles, barrel's etc. as well as some pallets. I bought some plastic ones, and sat down with scale wood and made a wood one. They take around 30 min to make, but i will start making them.

Ken Huck

Really looking good with all the little fill ins.

You need a 'burn barrel' or two...

Ken

Grumpy468

Yes I have lots to add, but doing it slowly.

trainman203

I like the 3 transformers on the platform between the two poles on the first photo. Was that a kit?

Grumpy468

No that was my own build. I see them a lot out in the country, so i took some pictures and made it. I will tell you this hobby has turned me into a civil engineer. lol I am now pre planning all my power poles on the layout, and getting them lined up and sorted out. I may be taking this a bit too far. lolol

Len

Loving the look of the weathering on your layout. Except for that soda machine. It looks like something found under a pile of junk in the back of a barn on the "American Pickers" TV show. Not something actually in use in the era represented.

That style, with the vertical window stack on the right, was manufactured by Vendco. It came out in 1951, when Coke-Cola finally lifted the 'nickle a bottle' price cap. Prior to that the window stack was on the left. Both styles, with minor differences, were also offered to other drink makers.

The problem is, by contract, the location where the machine was placed had responsibility for maintaining the outside of the machine in good condition. Or at least wiped down of extranious dirt, etc. Some places went so far as to actually wax the outside, as if it were a car. At any rate, if the outside paint was damaged in any way, a replacement machine was supposed to be requested. Unless the distributor had gone out of business, in which case there would be no product available for it, the machine would never be allowed to get into that condition for use by customers.

I don't count rivets, but I did work in a vintage vending machine restoration shop a few years ago. And your "machine' just struck me as wrong. But then, it's your layout. So whatever.

Also, if it's a Coke machine the top should be white:

A Royal Crown (RC) machine of that era would be overall yellow and a Dr. Pepper machine would be a light lime green.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.