News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sheldon's Layout

Started by Grumpy468, July 07, 2020, 11:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

Tree types can really set your layout geographically.  A lot of people have conifers that look like Christmas trees, which would be out of place on my layout.

Grumpy468

Quote from: jonathan on July 14, 2020, 01:56:41 PM
True enough.

There are never enough trees.  Great start, though.  3 down, 997 to go.  ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

Oh i know my brain is working overtime now

Grumpy468

Quote from: Trainman203 on July 14, 2020, 02:34:55 PM
Tree types can really set your layout geographically.  A lot of people have conifers that look like Christmas trees, which would be out of place on my layout.

We have a mix of Elm trees, pine trees, just adding what i see here in my countryside.

Grumpy468

well big step today, spoke to buddy Sid, and i decided i have better start from the middle and work my way out. I spent the afternoon finalizing my main street buildings etc, and will get the main street paved, and have gravel tapering off as we reach the edges of main street. Baby steps here i still have to figure out one area? at least i can get the bases nailed down and glued in place. Get the holes drilled for the lites in the building down the road. So much to think about.

Grumpy468

Well i spoke to Wounded bear, and i took everything off the layout and decided to get going on my main street, and then work my way out to the corners. Less chance of leaning over something and breaking it. The putty is Dap spackle, it goes on pink dries white to let you know when you can work on it. All the white foam board is nothing more than a form which will be removed when its all dry, i will cut it out and then fill those areas with dirt etc .I found a place at my buddy Jims shop to get some real gravel road material that when i sift out will be the right colour. So going to take a shovel and 5 gallon pail tomorrow and grab a bunch. I need the dust more than anything.

Grumpy468

Another hobby i have been into since i was 16, this took 4 years to build. It started life as a 20,000 original 6 cylinder car.

Grumpy468

Also into model car building, I had the sprint car since i was 15, blew it completely apart and redid it last year.

jonathan

Boys and their toys, man.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Terry Toenges

Are you trying to be sneaky with hood lettering on the Duster? :)
Feel like a Mogul.

WoundedBear

This is why Sheldon and I are good friends. Our interests are the same.

It's amazing how the skills we learn in one hobby can transfer over and become beneficial in another hobby.

Terry.....that whole Duster is sneakier than it looks. Usually a 426 wedge motor is a tall deck, or RB block. His is built from a low deck 383.

Sid

jonathan

Had a green '71 Duster once.  Didn't look much like that...  It was the king of gravel roads.

Regards,

Jonathan

Grumpy468

Thank you guys. Yes the duster is a wolf in sheep's clothing. We took a 383 block from a 68 Roadrunner, and we machined in a  stock steel 440 crank my engine builder had laying around. bored the motor out .030 and you have a 426 cubic inch wedge motor that fits under the stock hood. lol  It makes 525 Horsepower and 552 lb feet of torque. It is a fun car to drive.

I blame Sid for my railroad addiction, lolol . He helped me become a better model car kit builder etc, and i took to model railroading like a duck to water.  Winters are bloody long here, i really enjoy the train layout. This [ast winter went by very fast because of it.

Terry Toenges

My first car was a '68 Roadrunner with a 383 that I got in Nov. '67. Back then, everyone said I had a factory freak because it was so quick. We had a  stretch of highway (that dead ended just under the overpass). There was sign for the turn off to Hwy 55 that was a quarter mile from that. That was our drag strip. I used to beat just about everything I raced except the hemi's.
Feel like a Mogul.

Grumpy468

Took some time today and redid these tanks, i wasnt happy with them. I think this is better.

Grumpy468

Just wanting to make a statement.

I am not posting all these pictures for any reason  other than to show what i am working on thats it. Everyone has their own type of style, and way of doing things. I love this hobby, and i will put all the skill and effort into it that i have.

I have a couple train orders coming in the next couple of weeks, buildings, accessories and landscape materials. I need to sit down, look at the layout and come up with a bit of a plan. At the same time, move one building on the layout and all my ducks are not in a row anymore and the damn thing takes on a new look. lolol

Happy Modelling everyone.

Sheldon.