News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sheldon's Layout

Started by Grumpy468, July 07, 2020, 11:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grumpy468

My version of a switching yard, train house and fuel depot.

Grumpy468

Picture overload for one day. I have not started any landscaping yet as i keep adding things to the layout. I moved one building and everything in my head changed. lol. I have more stuff coming, I ordered a graveyard, More fencing, going to be building my own power poles, i have transformers coming plus all the railroad crossings.

Grumpy468

I made the motors and generators inside the lite and power house, out of a cardboard tube and some blocks of wood.

jonathan

Sensory overload! ;D

Still trying to figure out your track plan.  Did I detect a sneaky little reverse loop hidden between your dead end sidings?

Always fun to see the wiring underneath.

I can tell we have built some of the same structures.  Though most of mine did not make the cut on the latest layout.  They'll probably end up as fascia in the background.  Enjoying your photos.

Regards,

Jonathan

Grumpy468

No i do not have a reverse loop, we talked about one, then decided a different route in the end.  I had so much open space after my initial design that i added more tracks and created a few new industrial areas. I need a bigger layout it seems, but i dont have enough time, life and energy to finish a bigger one?

Grumpy468

I painted everything with a dark camo paint to get the effect i wanted,

Grumpy468

The Walthers refinery is going on the large white pad by the oil tank.

Grumpy468

Quote from: Ken Huck on July 07, 2020, 04:40:43 PM
OH Boy !  More photos to peruse.  Hi Sheldon, can't wait to see more.
Thanks for posting.

Ken

Hey Ken thank you, Hope you are doing well enjoying your hobby as well.

Grumpy468

This picture was taken in 1971, i have the book. The photographer was making a book of Western Canadian train stations. I was 9 yrs old in this picture, this is where i grew up. This is My sister, cousin and myself plus out family dog.

jonathan

IIRC I used 2-pound test fishing line for the barbed wire on top of the chain link fence. I think it was because those little plastic fence posts seemed weak, and I didn't want to break them using actual wire.  Been a while, but I know I had a good reason for doing it that way... looks great.

Regards,

Jonathan

Trainman203

Sheldon your structures are great.  Beautifully weathered. I recognize the Walthers kits which I have some of but yours look so much better than mine.  I even recognize the Revell engine house of old.  I really like the electric substation, which kit is that?

WoundedBear

Quote from: Trainman203 on July 09, 2020, 08:48:40 AM
Sheldon your structures are great.  Beautifully weathered. I recognize the Walthers kits which I have some of but yours look so much better than mine.  I even recognize the Revell engine house of old.  I really like the electric substation, which kit is that?

Did the Revell Engine House become the Walthers Engine House? I know Sheldon, Jon and I all have the same engine house on our layouts.

There was an article in NGSLG a while back about the Revell kits and they never mentioned the molds being bought or sold .

Sid