News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sheldon's Layout

Started by Grumpy468, July 07, 2020, 11:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoundedBear

One of my biggest obstacles in building my layout is indecision.

It takes a long time for me to finalize a scene and commit to building it. This corner I have been working on has been years in the making.

I put different structures in place and try them out. Then I move chit all around and find something that had never even crossed my mind the first time around.

Then I have builder's remorse for a while after, thinking if I did it "right" or not.

Sid

Terry Toenges

I do so know that feeling. I'll imagineer something in my head for months before actually starting on it. Then every step of the way, where there's a decision to be made, I'll analyze it and analyze it and then hope I like which route I decide to go.
Feel like a Mogul.

Grumpy468

There are many ways to do this, some guys use a track planning software, I looked at layouts i liked and then copied one with a few changes to it. I knew i was building a 1965-1975 Saskatchewan prairie layout, so it was going to be flat. lol Model what you know i was told. So once the track was down, i ended up adding a bunch more track to an open area, it turned out correct, lol sometimes you get lucky.

Then i went a bit gung ho on building structures. I had an idea of what businesses i wanted in my town, and same for the industrial areas. Adding buildings to the layout started to give it life, then all the accessories come into play, telephone and poler poles, street lites etc. I spent a lot of time online looking at other layouts and catalogues to see what would fit? Next thing you know i am adding large sections of plywood to 3 corners to allow for more buildings, lolol.

Then i wanted to add another 8 feet to one end, but that would have removed the couch and entire sitting area of the basement, and may have added 5-10 years onto the layout? I have to put on the brakes, lol

I will just build what i have, detail the crap out of it and make it look as good as i can, then i can spend the rest of my time playing trains.

Ken Huck

Not to change the subject or anything but, was one of those 'tanks'
scratch built from an old broom handle and painted red ?

Ken

Grumpy468

No it wasnt, i didnt notice the groves in it till after it was panted. I guess it was just a poor mold they were using.

Grumpy468

Well i have been a bit busy on my main street. trying to make it not look like new pavement. I added buildings back on so i could get some context for myself to see what has to be done yet.

Grumpy468

A little ******* off the Tamiya tape pulled off the grey wash along the yellow line, so i have been trying to touch it up. It does give the road a beat up look that i was hoping for. I didnt want a perfect street.

jonathan

Looks like that will be a great scene when it's done.  Great work.

Regards,

Jonathan

Grumpy468

Thank you ,it's a lot of work, i am waiting for my fusion fibre to show up so i can start on the back lanes and ditches.

Grumpy468

I am happy with the end result. It looks like a weathered road,

Grumpy468

I ordered a couple of Walthers kits, i need some tanks on my layout for various things. I drove around here to local propane companies and oil companies to get a look at the tanks. So now i need to decide how to proceed with weathering? A wash or dry brushing, or a combination of both.

WoundedBear

The yellow one has got to be a Superior Propane facility.

Sid

Grumpy468

Yes. lol I gave them all a wash so far of a slightly different shade of what they are, looks good . I am now watching you tube videos to figure out the rest. lol

Grumpy468

They are all done. Finished in matt clear. You can see the progression. Paint and powders.

Len

I hope those are supposed to represent abandoned tanks. They'd never pass a pressure test of safety inspection if allowed to get that corroded.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.