News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sheldon's Layout

Started by Grumpy468, July 07, 2020, 11:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grumpy468

Got my landscape flowers last week, so i started to slowly place them. They really add details to the layout, subtle but they catch your eye.

We Are What Your Mother Warned you about.

Grumpy468

Well i got out of my slump today and got back into creating on the layout. i did an 18" section of grid road today with fence. Started to add flowers and fence pieces around the layout today as well.  A little bit at a time.

jonathan

Grumpy468

Thanks Jonathan. I still need to detail the gravel road once everything dries. I am going to try pastel chalk i bought. Will turn it into a powder then brush it on?

jward

Looking at your work I am amazed that it's mostly Atlas snap track. You've done a really great job ballasting the track and blending it into its surroundings. Sid taught you well.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Grumpy468

Thank you. I really Miss Sid. :'( :'(  He was a fountain of knowledge.

Grumpy468

Picked away at all weekend, and i have it close to where i want it now. I am struggling to get my gravel roads to look right? Any suggestions would be welcome.

jward

You've got them looking pretty good. The only thing I see missing are the potholes. SO many people seem to use ballast for gravel roads but it's really way too big. What ever you used was fine enough to get the packed dirt look where the wheels travel, and the loose gravel off to the sides and in the center.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jonathan

Your gravel roads look better than anything I've attempted. Gravel roads are surprisingly hard to model.

Regards,

Jonathan

Grumpy468

Thank you. I use a combination of Woodland scenics, and real gravel. I bought and made some strainers to sift and get different sizes of road material and landscaping materials. I also use real twigs and dried leaves.  I bought 2 different colour pallets of pastel chalk. I use a fine saw blade and scrape the pastel into a powder, then use that on the roads etc buildings.

Grumpy468

Well i need to sit at the bench and get the last of the big kits started, will take a bit of a break from landscaping . I have the Walthers, United Petroleum refinery kit for my layout. I was going over the instructions and looking at the kit. There is going to be at least a 3 month build time here. Should take me right to the May long weekend, when i plant all my flowers and get the yard going.  :D :D :D

Ken Huck

It's all coming together nicely Sheldon,  Now I guess I get to play "catch up".

Thanks for all the pics.

Ken

jward

You've discovered one way to keep things fresh. If you have numerous projects to work on, you can vary what you work on so you don't burn out on any one thing.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Grumpy468

Quote from: Ken Huck on February 17, 2021, 04:04:39 PM
It's all coming together nicely Sheldon,  Now I guess I get to play "catch up".

Thanks for all the pics.

Ken

Thanks Ken. Sid would send me pics all the time, That is where i got a lot of ideas from. I think it is important to share ideas and pictures in this hobby. That is one good thing about the internet.

Grumpy468

Quote from: jward on February 17, 2021, 08:09:44 PM
You've discovered one way to keep things fresh. If you have numerous projects to work on, you can vary what you work on so you don't burn out on any one thing.

Well i build model cars as well, and i did 6 of those in a row, and got burnt out on that. So i am taking a break from that room and model bench. lol I find the Trains more open and free, the rules are less restrictive.

I am into home audio as well as reptiles. i have 7 snakes so they keep me entertained as well. This is Jonesy my texas rat snake, he is a sweetheart.