News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sheldon's Layout

Started by Grumpy468, July 07, 2020, 11:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grumpy468

Well i sat down at the bench this afternoon to start on the refinery build. There is a sheet of brass etching, and i have never worked on a kit this detailed. This is going to take me a while to figure out and build. Also i am working with a medium based glue so it sets up real fast. Sanding fitting more sanding the brass and more fitting. I am going to model this after out local refinery here who is a customer of mine. So i have a front row seat to the best model reference in the province. This kit will change the skyline of my layout, then maybe i will get some insight and vision to how i want to landscape other areas?

We Are What Your Mother Warned you about.

jonathan

Looks like fun!

Stupid question time.  When I paint brass, I etch it first... so it will hold paint.  Of course, that's with a loco.  Do you have to treat the brass parts to hold paint on a stationary model?

Regards,

Jonathan

Grumpy468

I am not sure? I need to read the instructions some more.

Grumpy468

there is nothing about paint prep in the instructions, i will just spray it with etching primer then paint.

Grumpy468

Slow and tedious. Only made 2 mistakes so far, got it corrected fast before the glue set up. lolol

jonathan

Gonna be sharp.  Those little details are tough but really make the model.  Great stuff.

Regards,

Jonathan

Grumpy468

OMG i am beat, lol i got all 15 sections built this week, now to primer and start the paint process.

Grumpy468

Primed and painted all the parts last night, sometimes you get lucky and happy accidents happen. I placed all the pieced upside down, to paint the bottoms first. i let that dry, when i flipped everything over, i was amazed that only the railings had been completely painted, and the deck floors were still primer grey.  :D :D :D. I am now deciding to leave them that way i think to give it some contrast. . This is a couple shots of my refinery area, the tank car loading area.

Grumpy468

Getting going on the refinery kit...

Grumpy468

Grumpy468

Lucky to have them as a customer, i get a birds eye view of a real refinery.

Grumpy468

Got some work done over the weekend, also did a section of landscaping between the 2 lines. Will add more to it as time goes on, just wanted to get an idea  of what the grass between the tracks would look like. Started on the refinery, need to set it on the layout to se what i can do with the extra pipe kit? I need a bigger layout, this one is too small. lolol

Grumpy468

Making progress, Still need to weather before gluing it all together. I am at the point where i need to get my led lighting in place before assembly, so need to figure out lites?

Grumpy468

What i got done so far today. Here are some before and after weathering pictures. Taking it slow, the top pipe rack is not glued down, i still have to buy and add lites to it.

Grumpy468

Hey guys i am glad this site is back. I have been busy detailing track. I took everything off the layout that i could and started to detail all the rail ties.