News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Beginner Query

Started by Melwin, July 08, 2020, 02:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melwin

My name is Melwin Joseph and I am from Malaysia. I have been reading about the train hobby as I am interested in starting on this hobby. I intend to start on the N scale as it will be more suitable for me.
I am interested in the Bachmann N 24132 starter set with DCC & sound. However, there are a few questions which I hope you won't mind assisting me with:-

1)What track code is the Bachmann N scale EZ track.

2)Understand that the EZ track can be connected to the Flexi track. Do I need to use a normal track connector or do I need to use a transition track connector.

3)What is the max track length or layout size the EZ command can support.

4)If a power booster is required, can you send me a wiring diagram for connecting 1 booster.

5)From your website, I see that you only have 2 N scale DCC starter sets. How do I check on Bachmann full range of N scale trains, sets, tracks and etc.

prr22

1)  The Bachmann set includes code 80 n scale track.  99.99% of N scale starter sets will include this code track.

2)  In transitioning from EZ-track to flex track, the same rail joiners can absolutely be used, but definitely use cork roadbed beneath your track so that the heights of the two sections are roughly similar.

3)  The EZ-Command system will definitely be enough to power your locomotives, but it only puts out 1 amp.  The general rule of thumb is 4 engines per amp in N scale.  This number only counts the number of locomotives running not parked.  Though, if you plan on runing lots of sound locomotives, more amperage will be used per engine.  If you are looking to create a n scale layout of larger size, I may recommend either the Bachmann booster unit OR the Digitrax Zephyr starter set, either of which will get you a long way.

4)  Bachmann systems are very plug and play, without any soldering or cutting and stripping of wires.  The Bachmann booster will e much this way with simple plugs and sockets to connect command station to booster.  The Digitrax Zephyr is also heavily "plug and play".

5)  There are two DCC Sound sets listed on the Bachmann website as current products.  I could not find any additional DCC/Sound sets on major web retailers, such as modeltrainstuff.com or TrainWorld.com.  Unless you are willing to take the risk with Ebay, I think that these may be your only two choices.  Sorry!

Best of Luck
Modeling the rolling hills from Baltimore to Pittsburg

Melwin

Hi there prr22,
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. really appreciate it.
I intend to run about 2 engines with sound and lights( a steam freighter and a diesel passenger ). So, looks like the EZ command power should be sufficient.
Im planning a layout around the christmas tree(like a  christmas town) and with a helix at the side which leads to a track around the tree at mid height of the tree.
I know it may not be easy for a beginner to be this ambitious but very excited to get this done.
Last christmas I did make a tree train, with the track running around the tree at mid height. Made the brackets and platform to lay the track.
At that time, I was still reading up on this hobby and was not ready embark as there was still lot more info to find out, so for that tree train, I used a toy train set.
It did look good and now I'm really excited to get this done.

If there is any tips on the helix, I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks again.

little railway

Hi Melvin!

Your plan with the arrangement around the Christmas tree sounds exciting.
Good luck with it!