Are there any Bachmann function decoders that do not support CV read?

Started by Grapevine Flyer, July 08, 2020, 04:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grapevine Flyer

Are there any old Bachmann function decoders that do not support CV read?

Possibly the old Lenz decoders? I have an old Bachmann decoder (small black), and when I attempt a CV read in service mode it is not responding. I was wondering if that is by design.

Are there any Bachmann decoders that don't support CV read?

Trainman203

When decoders and their technology get really old, in my opinion it's better to replace it with a new up to date one, instead of continuing to give the corpse CPR.

I have several Spectrum engines with Soundtraxx decoders from 10 years ago.  At the time they were beyond the bee's knees, but compared to the current Tsunami2-2 they are slugs.  I'll keep them until I can afford to replace them, but they are definitely less fun-to-run and I use updated engines more.

Grapevine Flyer

Thanks so much - I agree. My question is more of a technical question. Trying to understand if any of the decoders were so basic that they did not support CV reads at all.

Nathan

What DCC System and what type of CV Read are you talking about?

Nathan

WoundedBear

You are correct. The early (10 year old?) Bachmann basic 2 function decoders do not support CV feedback.

I still have a couple in my Shays......a royal pain not being able to read back.

Sid

jward

Are you by chance using a DIgitrax system to read those CVs? If so, try a 1k ohm resistor across the rails of the programming track. Digitrax systems have trouble reading and writing to Lenz type decoders without the resistor.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA