News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Ken's Railroad

Started by Ken Huck, July 13, 2020, 03:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Huck

Thought I'd start another THREAD not 'stream' so as not to confuse anyone about my water scenery
application skills.  Here's three pictures of my entire layout.  The camera was about ten and a half from
the distant wall.  The layout is approximately sixteen feet from lest to right.

I tried to get the photos 'side by side' but it didn't work, they would've been pretty close for a panoramic view.

I should've gotten that bottle of glue out of the first pic too. ::) Oh well.

Thanks for looking.

Ken

jonathan

It's good to see some distance shots. Gives one a feel of how a railroad operates.

Looks like you're making good progress. Thanks!

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

Agreed. The overall shots are nice. Gives some context to the individual scene photos.

Do you do a lot of ducking under things Ken? Or is it all accessible easily?

I have a duck under in mine.......it isn't terrible, but since the hip replacements, I do regret it.

Sid

Ken Huck

I forgot to add before I logged off, that the center photo is 42 inches above the floor.  It's very easy
to duck under.  The photo on the right, (the highest) is 62 inches above the floor.  I don't have
to duck under that side because I can walk behind it.  The "Diamond Coal Company" by
Walthers is still removable and I still have a bit 'under layout' work to do before I make it
semi permanent.  The 'left' (first photo) is still under the 'not sure if I like it'  category.  I'm still 'inching'
my may through it, scenery wise.

As always, more to follow.

Ken

Parting shot:

Grumpy468

Very nice. Thank you for posting pics.

Trainman203

If there's clearance some people use a rolling office chair to go through the duckunder.

graywolf

I use a mechanic's rolling stool that Harbour Freight sells for about $20. Works great and has a tray under it that will hold whatever you are taking inside the layout without you possibly dropping it. Don't get the round one --- get the one with 4 wheels.

Trainman203

Terry Toenges

It looks great Ken. I am very impressed with it.
Feel like a Mogul.

Ken Huck

Here's another "overall" shot.  I was standing on the second last step into the basement to get back
far enough to get it all in one picture.  Just above the cardboard, where the track is right on the edge is
62 inches above the floor.  I'm planning on extending the outer edge like I did on the other edge of the
layout.

This is the opposite corner of the layout.  The camera is 8'10" from the wall.  On the left edge
is what I was working on to prevent 'void' contact, and is what I'm planning  to do on the opposite edge.

This is just another of the same, only closer to the wall to show some temporary 'removable'
backdrop sections.  The one closest with the two tunnel portals is just sitting on a 1X2.

The elevation is about 'top of my shirt-pocket' high.  I only have to bend over a little bit to get under it.

Still got a lot to do, more to follow.

Ken

Grumpy468

Very impressive work Ken, great job.

jonathan

I kept wondering why your ceiling was so low...  :)

My first layout was 48" high at the sub roadbed. It was nice to sit on a stool to work on wiring underneath.

Starting to get a good feel for the size of the layout. Nice. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Jonathan

OLDERTIMER

Great work, Ken.  Are those aircraft lurking in the background?  A century or so ago, when I was young, I hung a Zero with a P-40 in hot pursuit from the ceiling of my bedroom.  It takes one back. :)

WoundedBear

Ken....that is going to be spectacular once all the gaps get filled in with scenery. Again....I really like the overall shots.

And check your PMs ;)

Sid

OLDERTIMER

I just looked again and noticed the top lefthand corner of of one photo with the front of an aircraft poking it's nose into the scene.  Is that a Spitfire?  That was one of the neatest looking fighters and along with the P-51 and the F4U the best allied fighters of WWII.