News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Ken's Railroad

Started by Ken Huck, July 13, 2020, 03:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jward

It's nice to see an overview of your railroad. I can almost hear those GP15s as they climb the grade.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Ken Huck

I finally completely finished the installation by adding a little of 'fill in' and vegetation.

First across...a horse.

...and a little preview of what I'll be working on next.  Lift out back-drop scenery using flat
cardboard.

More to follow.

Ken

Ken Huck

Here's more.  I started out with a single piece of cardboard cut to shape.

Then, I sprayed it with an adhesive and 'dusted' it with ground foam.

Next, I starting adding layers of 'vegetation' and dead fall.

I kept adding more and more...

...until I thought I had enough.

When it was completely dry, I inserted it back into the 'slots' on my backdrop.

Once installed, I 'piled' more foliage in front of the cardboard to blend it in.

I don't know what my next project will be, but...

more to follow.

Ken

jonathan

I like the carboard hill project.  That's pretty neat.

Do you intend to create a "sky" background at some point?  Seems to be the only thing that keeps me from getting lost in the scenery.

Great stuff!  Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Jonathan

Ken Huck

One of these days I plan to hang a blue sheet or something from the ceiling to appear as
a sky backdrop.  Just don't know how far 'back' I'll have to hang it yet.  Meanwhile I've
worked up another QUADruple thickness backdrop for the next section.  I doubled up at the
bottom, then a single lay, then another layer 'behind' the second and another third layer
behind that.  By 'stepping' the cardboard it givers a more three-dimensional appearance.
Now I just have to let it dry overnight and hope everything doesn't fall off when I
stand it up.

Practice makes better...

...more to follow.

Ken

Ken Huck

Here's more of the last 'section' installed.  It took about three days to dry completely.

If you look closely and compare photos from previous installments, you can see where the different
cardboard 'layers' are.
I don't know what I'll do next, but I'm going to have to start wiring underneath before I
put any more topside scenery.

More to follow...

Ken

Ken Huck

Back again with another up date.  The undertaker needed a place to bury people so I
thought I'd add a cemetery.  The first pic shows where it's going to be installed.

Next, I add sub groundwork with plaster cloth.

Then I added rock outcroppings and stained them with water color.

Finally, I finished it off with ground foam and clump foliage.

Last, but not least, the unpleasant task of 'burying' all the people.

That's it for now.  More to follow...

Ken

WoundedBear

Fan-freakin-tastic Ken. That dirt road leading up to the church is a great scene.

Sid

Terry Toenges

I'm thinking that, with all those rocks, that grave digger has a hell of a time digging graves.
Feel like a Mogul.

Ken Huck

Thanks for the comments guys, Sid, I use real dirt sifted through a window screen
for the road.  Terry, if you'll notice in the sixth picture, the grave digger has a pick axe... 8)

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

jonathan

My father, and both grandfathers, were pastors.  You'd think I'd remember to add a church and cemetery to my layouts. I always forget... even have a country church kit.  Sheesh.

Great stuff, as always Ken. Thanks for the guilt.  ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

Ken Huck

Well, after waiting and thinking about it enough, I finally got a 'plan' for my mining area.

The entire mining area will be split-level.

I'm not sure yet of what buildings I'll eventually put there but, for one I know
is that "ore chute" in the middle needs to be 'scaled' down a bit.  Now I have to remove
everything and start on scenery. 

...and one last shot of my newest motive power.  A Pacific Fast Mail 50-ton Vulcan Duplex.

That's it for now, more to follow.

Ken

WoundedBear

Always a pleasure and an inspiration looking at your photos, Ken. Keep it up.

Sid

jonathan

Appreciate you sharing your progress.

I am Uber jealous of that duplex. She appears to be in great shape!

Regards,

Jonathan