Amtrak 350 Lighted EMD F40ph Diesel Locomotive

Started by regme, July 15, 2020, 09:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

regme

Hi

I have this old loco and I'm chasing the gears that connect the wheel set to the motor or at least pic of how it is supposed to look.

I would post a photo, but put the uploader is full, whatever that means.

Cheers

rich1998

Welcome.
You need a photo hosting site to post photos. Most any forums require this.

Explained down a ways in General Questions forum. Old news. Might be out of date.

Rich

rich1998

Below is a link I found searching the Bachmann forums for, posting photos.
There are a couple other free sites. You could do a Google search for photo free photo hosting site. At least one is trains based from what I heard.

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,34394.0.html

Rich

regme

Hi

Did realise that, has an attached button at the bottom so I used that, bit misleading.

Anyway here is the photo

Cheers

rich1998

I think a diagram of the complete truck would be more useful but some here might know exactly what you need.
My diesels have a worm-gear driven by the worm from the motor. That worm-gear drives the rest of the gears in the truck. Hard to tell from your photo. I see the bottom of the truck.

Is this what you have? From the Bachmann diagram page F40PH, older model.

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H870X-IS005.pdf

Rich

regme

Hi Rich

Sorry I should have been more specific, I had found that diagram and I think this version preceeds that.  It's a pancake motor

rich1998

Wow. That is really old. No idea. Probably try to find another one on ebay or retire the loco.
I have seen different types of pancake motors on ebay in the past.

Rich

rich1998

If it has no sentimental value, check the Parts, Service and Information page. Look for Service Dept. Information.
You can see what is would cost to have Bachmann replace it with another loco. No idea the name on the shell.
They did that for me a few years ago. I had a 44 ton dual motor with cracked gear. I was sent a single motor.
Another fellow here is doing that now.

Rich

regme

No sentimental value just thought I'd give it go.  I emailed the parts department and they said it was too old and wouldn't have anything.

However I managed to a photo of a pancake motor that shows what the gears look like so I'll just keep looking.

The motor sould fine, it's just a shame to scrap the whole loco, unless I use it for weathering practice.

Len

You could just pull the gears out of the truck and use the loco as a 'dummy' pulled by another loco. Or a static unit near an engine shed or roundtable.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

thewizard

I'm fairly certain that's a Life-Like F40, not a Bachmann one.

Bachmann pancake motors tend to be white, and have less weight. Maybe try sourcing a Life-like engine for parts too?

Len

Also, if it is Life-Like, some Model Power pancake motors will swap into Life-Like chassis.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.