Bachmann's 2020 Product Announcement

Started by InsideTrack, July 15, 2020, 12:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kemptown Branch

Quote from: Rodimus Supreme on July 17, 2020, 01:27:52 PM
Quote from: TrainFan97 on July 16, 2020, 08:25:09 PM
The blurred photo was indeed Black James (called Origin James) and if the wheels aren't painted, they'd better be painted on the final model.
What are you talking about? The wheels are painted.
The wheels aren't painted, they're chemically blackened. Although that is accurate to the CGI series, I think people would believe painted wheels would look better aesthetically.
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

Kemptown Branch

Quote from: thomasj219 on July 17, 2020, 01:45:46 PM
Alright guys, Yes yesterday was a bit of a disappointment. But you have to look at the bigger picture, I'm sorry just saying "I may seem entitled" doesn't excuse the lack of understanding that people seem to have during the current situation.

Seeing as Bachmann teased things and made it seem like there would be new engines before this, it says to me that something must've happened, I have a feeling that the delays for Daisy and a Peter San came later than anticipated and they're still planning for stuff but had to pull it back because the wait between announcement and release would've been just too long. I'm hoping for a much more satisfying announcement in February. Plus the fact that we only have to wait six months for announcements now rather than a year is another plus. I still think we're in a better place than we've ever been.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is relax, and remember the days when we had to beg for any classic character to be considered let alone announced. We have a narrow gauge line now and the range is only looking more promising as time goes on, these are unbelievable circumstances that we unfortunately have to deal with. But don't get greedy boys. There are only six characters from the classic series that Bachmann has not made in standard gauge, excluding one offs like Derek and class 40.

We are living the dream.

Don't forget that.
I agree. I remember that a only in 2018 we still only got the February announcements every year, and I honestly thought the NMRA Announcements in 2019 were going to be a one time thing. I think the fact that we still got an announcement at the 2020 NMRA show at all is pretty good, even if it is just a repaint. At least it's knocked out now, though.

Chaz

Sitting back on it, I remember when there was a time that when we got Thomas announcements during the NMRA we only got the large scale Thomas' snowplough one year and the following year we got the large scale Emily's coaches and the tar tanker.  NMRA announcements are generally a lot smaller, if any at all, compared to the usual announcements we get during the Toy Fair with last year's NMRA being an exception.  I imagine we probably got lucky last year since a lot of fans gave constructive feedback and suggestions for Daisy and Peter Sam while expressing dissatisfaction for the recolors we were getting at the time.

That still does not excuse Bachmann's Twitter page for misleading fans however.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TrainFan97

Quote from: TrainMan2001 on July 17, 2020, 01:48:53 PM
The blurred photo was indeed Black James (called Origin James) and if the wheels aren't painted, they'd better be painted on the final model.
The wheels aren't painted, they're chemically blackened. Although that is accurate to the CGI series, I think people would believe painted wheels would look better aesthetically.

So, James having unpainted wheels looks more accurate to the show. Alright. I'm still buying Origin James regardless, along with LBSC Thomas. Both of them, and Busy Bee James are likely to all get released at the same time, since they already have images. LBSC Thomas and Origin James together will be very popular sellers.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Toad139

Very displeased with this year's announcements when it comes to the HO Thomas and Friends range. Two repaints of the same character in one year is disappointing to say the least, especially when most people expected more for the 75th anniversary. Hyping up the announcement on Twitter didn't help either. It made it seem as though there was more to come. I am still optimistic that next year will be better, but it's unfortunate that nothing of interest was announced for the 75th anniversary, even photos of last year's announcements would have been nice.

One thing I appreciate about these forums is how honestly people express their opinions. On Twitter, everyone seems to be afraid to criticize Bachmann, especially now that Bachmann twitter account directly interacts with the fandom. I've seen many people state that we should be thankful for whatever Bachmann puts out. This is a ridiculous statement to me. The ones who buy these products have the right to state their minds if they are dissatisfied with their new product announcements. The Bachmann Thomas line is extremely successful, so they should listen to what people want. Hopefully most people don't get the wrong idea from this post, I am a huge fan of Bachmann and their products. I don't want to direct any hate at them, but if people want to voice their dissatisfaction in a respectful manner, I believe they should be able too.

Anthony P2

So after watching the live stream, I have to say, I'm one of the few who are not disappointed. I kind of expected Original James to be announced at some point. It was pretty much inevitable with LBSC Thomas announced this year. I actully think I might get LBSC Thomas and Origin James. I thought they were pretty neat to see on screen, plus I'm a sucker for the white lined wheels Thomas had in the green livery!  ;)

I know it might make some of you guys upset but could we please be a little rational here? Had we been living in a world without Covid, then maybe more would have been announced and shown off. Covid has practically slowed out daily lives, in addition to manufacturing. Bachmann said via Twitter that they ran into some production delays. Ok! That's fine with me! Are we still getting Peter Sam and Daisy? You betcha we are! This year? most likely not, but they are defiantly coming! There's always next year for Stepney. Possibly Rebecca? I think she would be an excellent addition to the lineup. Some more resin buildings would be awesome too!

Ronniethe14xxx

Although the NMRA was never really huge for announcements before last year, it was advertised this year would be similar to last year. That's part of the reason people are so disappointed.

Although I would have loved to see Stepney or Ryan this year, the fact is Bachmann currently has 4 models in production. It would've been nice to get another announcement to just announce the item, since we have to wait a few years for items anyway. However with the items and the items already in production, I understand why they couldn't do that.

That being said the fact Origins James was the only announcement is really disappointing. We could've gotten news about the recolored rolling stock announced last July that are still somehow not done. Feels odd that they are taking so long, considering it seemed to be implied by the twitter account Origins James was made in the span of the last few months.

A simple announcement like reintroducing highly requested items like Salty, tar wagons, well wagons, or red express coaches could've gone a long way to add more to what was revealed yesterday.

As it stands it feels like Bachmann's announcements for the anniversary were very lacking

FfarquharStudios

Im very disappointed with the outcome its cool that James is in Black but lets be honest thats lazy work we already saw busy bee James we dont need that right now we still have Classic Characters like BoCo, Stepney, Duncan, & Sir Handel to get and that should be Bachmann's main focus not repaints of characters we already have its like Rosie and Red Rosie all over again. If thats the case you were better off Bringing Salty back for those who never got a chance to get him but too bring out James twice in one year its not necessary. Im hoping they do better next time #BringBocoBack

Rodimus Supreme

They don't look different. And how do you know they're chemically blackened? So you work for Bachmann?

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: Rodimus Supreme on July 18, 2020, 06:37:22 PM
They don't look different. And how do you know they're chemically blackened? So you work for Bachmann?
Please, please, and I mean please, take a chill pill.

Kemptown Branch

Look at James' new production models. The wheel treads and flanges are the same color as the wheelface. If they were painted, James couldn't run, because he couldn't collect electricity. That doesn't apply to chemical blackening. A lot of british modeller do it, and it's done on Bachmann's American models too. If they weren't chemically blackened, the treads would be super shiny, like Thomas's wheels, or even James' coupling rods.

And I don't work for Bachmann.

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: Cheeky_ULP on July 18, 2020, 07:43:43 PM
Please, please, and I mean please, take a chill pill.
You have no idea what "not chill" is, apparently. I notice no one can say anything around here without someone being overly sensitive and flipping out.

Cheeky_ULP

Rodimus, nobody but you has been flipping their lid over the most mundane of things. Please just stop and take a breather. You've been doing this a lot lately.

Ã…ngloketThomas

I'm also a bit dissapointed in the announcements, and we got 2 James repaints in a year, wish they could had come up with something else, don't get me wrong tho, cus I guess they can be fun alternative versions of James based on the episode/movie they was in and some people will find them nice to have, but they are not something I personally whould get. I'm whould had wanted some more new toolings instead, hope to one day see BoCo perhaps as I mentioned before here, and any more of the narrow gauge engines that was introduced in season 4 is a nice welcome, I already bought Rheneas, Skarloey and Rusty and will continue to buy those when they get released.

MeganekkoFury1126

Yes, I'm disappointed in the end result this year, but with everything else that's going on right now in the world, a somewhat underwhelming announcement is kind of low on the totem pole of things to worry about.

I'm still happy that black origins James is being made. He makes a good companion piece for the LBSC Thomas, and makes a lot more sense than the weird busy-bee James for this year.

I think I'm more disappointed not with the actual line, but how it was sort of hyped up a lot prior on social media. Yet at the same time, this seems to be a recurring pattern where the announcements after some really BIG new items (in last year's case Daisy and Peter Sam) are largely underwhelming. It was pretty much the same when Oliver and the first release of the Skarloey engines were announced, so it's not entirely surprising.

Yes, it is the 75th anniversary, and yes, even with the COVID situation going on, an announcement for a brand new product could still have been done and we would've accepted it would've taken a much longer time for that brand new product being produced.

Overall, given how much of a turbulent storm this year has been, it makes me more hopeful next year (in general) will be more of a pleasant surprise.