News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

layout expansion to HO

Started by graywolf, July 17, 2020, 08:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

graywolf

On my current layout most radii range from 27 to 32 with only one short area down to 23". The plan when you 1/4 a layout leaves you with a work area in the middle so that the layout becomes basically around the walls. Therefore access is quite good and I can use the whole 9X13 space allocated. The room itself is larger and the way I have it setup you can access two sides of the layout from both sides. The layout is tight into a corner of the room only. My first layout was started as a 4x8 which I expanded to 4.5 x9 so that it didn't look like the trains were going to run off the table edge since I used 22" radius tracks with 3" straights between the curves giving you 47" on the ends. The ratio 1.837 to go from N-HO is not universally able to work period. An example would be that HO is 1/87 scale there fore your 1.5lb engine should be 130.5 lbs if you scaled it to real life when we know that real engines weight just a little more.

jward

If you scaled up the original ;plan by multiplying the dimensions by 1.8 you'd wind up with 12r curves and 6% grades. That is unworkable for HO.

If you quarter the plan and turn it into an around the walls layout you will have two problems.
First, the reversing loop on the lower level pretty much has to stay intact. That means no matter what you do you are still going to have one area with sharp curves.

The second and more problematic is that you are going to either have a duckunder or a lift bridge so you can get into the room. If you opt for the lift bridge, an idea that looks good on paper, you are going to have to find a way to ensure that every time the bridge is moved, when you put it back in place the rails align perfectly. Otherwise it is going to be a constant source of derailments that will frustrate you to the point you will regret ever designing the layout.

There are far better options out there.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

graywolf

Thanks Jward I hadn't noticed the reverse loop. That would certainly dictate a solid platform instead of around the walls. So I guess I will see what can be done with a large flat layout with access from all sides so things can be reached. I may look at a removable popup area in the middle by the Ore House and access from under the mountain. Challenges are what it all about right?