What Scale is the New N gauge Thomas Range?

Started by railtwister, January 25, 2021, 12:48:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

railtwister

I'm wondering what "scale" the N gauge Thomas range is adhering to, since N gauge in Europe and the USA is proportioned at 1:160, in Japan it is 1:150, and England it is 1:148, and it's predecessor (called OOO or "treble O") was 1:152. While the Thomas range is pretty much fantasy, this "scale" question relates to the general size and proportion. The Japanese "Thomas" Models, supposedly at 1:150 proportions, seem noticeably larger when compared to American N gauge models, how do the new Bachmann N models stack up in comparison?   ???

TTL

Well to answer and clarify that, the old Tomix range is essentially in it's own N scale standard, it's just so big as you said.
Now the new range from Bachmann is comfortably scaled to British N scale standards, though Annie & Clarabel are a bit oversized. Thomas and Percy both scale with UK N scale stock, and if that wasn't enough, the upcoming tankers in the range are just Graham Farish ones with some of the extra detailing removed, and we've seen the range's tankers with Thomas & Percy and they scale with them.
Need me some Sir Handel and more Talyllyn stock.

railtwister

So, you are saying that the new Bachmann "N" Thomas is actually smaller than the Tomix version, while the coaches "Annie" and "Clarabelle" are larger, yet the freight cars are the same size as already available British "N"? Will the Bachmann coaches look funny next to the Tomix versions? I wish someone could post photos of the two ranges in a side-by-side comparison so we all could see.

TTL

Pics were posted back in like October, in one of the N scale threads. And yes, Bachmann's N range is smaller cause its scaled to UK N scale, the Tomix range is waaaay bigger.
Need me some Sir Handel and more Talyllyn stock.

Hilux5972

Just to clarify, UK N Gauge is actual 1/148 scale, not 1/150

railtwister

Hilux,
Thanks for catching the error in my original post, I have corrected it to reflect the proper scale and also have included Treble O, yet another scale which was popularized by Lone Star in the very early days of "N" (mid 1960's).