Bachmann Thomas & Friends in 2021

Started by TerencetheTractor525, July 17, 2020, 09:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kemptown Branch

Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

thomasj219

A bad one.  ;D

Don't give them any ideas.  ;)
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

TrainFan97

I do agree that we don't need anymore James recolors after Busy Bee and Origin James, but I don't think Bachmann can just stop doing recolors in general even though everyone's getting tired of them. Daisy, an upcoming model with a new tooling, has been delayed, most likely due to the ongoing pandemic. I'm pretty sure Bachmann understands that many of us are getting tired of recolors, and will gladly announce engines with new toolings when they can, but the reason they do so many recolors is because a new tooling hasn't been as financially viable in recent years. Since Mattel's takeover, the only new toolings we got in HO Scale were Oliver, Rosie, and the upcoming Daisy. I really don't know if Bachmann can do new toolings like they used to anymore. Should we just get used to there being so many recolors?

I'd still like to know which recolor should happen next, if we have to get yet another. As I've stated a few other times, the best options I can think of from the top of my head are:

-Sidney
-Silver/Shiny Spencer
-Glow-in-the-Dark Henry
-Green Salty
-Blue Bill and Ben

Which one of these would be the favorite, now that Origin James is on the way? Or, is there something else you'd like to see that I didn't list? I did list these a few other times, but the only reason I'm doing it again is because no one answered me before, and I'd like some feedback on what should be the next recolor IF we have to get another, and which one would be the best-received.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Ronniethe14xxx

Personally don't see the appeal of releaseing a new Spencer. They should just do what they did with Toby and update the paint color rather then release a new model
As for what I'd like to see next yea either in Feburary or July (assuming we do get announcements then), as well as some ideas for updated models and recolors
(HO)
Stepney
Sidney
Reintroduction of Salty
Explosives van
Reintroduction of the wellwagon (with machinary load)
Reintroduction of Red Express Coaches
Reintroduction of Tar Tanker
Updated Henrietta with face
Hannah

Something I don't personally see happening but would love to see is adding more non-rail characters to the range. Characters like Butch and Bulgy would fit in very well. Maybe if we were lucky they'd add on cranes like Reg and Big Mickey, although they are super unlikely and will probably never happen.

(Narrow Gauge)
Sir Handle
Brown Narrow Gauge brakevan
Green coaches

(N scale)
Toby
Henrietta (with face)
Hannah
Milk Tanker

Although I don't want to see them until we get Stepney, some other engines I would love to see in the future would be Ryan, Whiff, and Sonny. Probably alone on that last one but would love to hear everyone's thoughts

TrainFan97

So, if Bachmann does make Spencer in his metallic silver livery, they're better off doing that as a sudden update like they did for Toby.

Looks like the best choice for a recolor in the HO Scale range for 2021 is Sidney. To me, Green Salty is just a personal preference because I like the look, but I'd like Sidney to finally get out of the way, once and for all. It's been two years since Paxton hit the market, and for our (most likely) last Class 08 diesel shunter in HO Scale, it has to be Sidney. After getting LBSC Thomas, Busy Bee and Origin James, the next recolor should be Sidney, so Bachmann can just get it over with, and be done with their Class 08 characters for HO Scale (excluding Splatter and Dodge, Mainland Diesels (such as Ulli), and international Class 08s (such as Fernando)). At this moment, the number one priority for a recolor is Sidney, now that Origin James is coming soon.

If Bachmann does make Green Salty, it could increase the demand to bring Salty back in his normal livery, unless they do both, or they're better off just bringing back Salty in his normal livery. Some could argue that Green Salty is too gimmicky for Bachmann, but so is Busy Bee James, but another thing is that Busy Bee James is a repaint of a main character. It will take some popular demand to convince Bachmann to reintroduce Salty. It took years of popular demand to bring back the Express Coaches.

My predictions for 2021:

HO Scale:

Stepney
Sidney
Ventilated Van - Explosives
Chocolate Syrup Tanker
Toffee Tanker
Red Express Coach
Red Express Brake Coach

Narrow Gauge:
Sir Handel
Brake Van - Brown
Green Coach

N Scale:
Toby
Henrietta (with face)
Hannah
S.C. Ruffey
Open Wagon - Red
Milk Tanker

Large Scale:

Paxton or 'Arry and Bert
Red Coach
Red Brake Coach

For N Scale, I feel Toby is most likely going to be the fourth engine, as he is a simple box shape, and his chassis can be reused for Mavis. Diesel would also be a good choice because multiple characters can be done with the tooling. As for the big engines like Gordon and Henry, Bachmann may not be ready to make those yet, especially given the current situation. I'd welcome Toby or Diesel with open arms.

For Large Scale, Diesel's tooling can be used to make either Paxton, or 'Arry and Bert in the near future.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Mulfred100

One thing I have been thinking about in terms of Narrow Guage is Troublesome trucks. Going back to series 4 theres two stand out designs.

The first being the most iconic. The Troublesome slate trucks. Seen in series 4 and 5 mostly but always lurking in the background. I think if Bachmann were to do a Troublesome truck this would be the most profitable option given their classic design and ability to remaket them with different faces and mayge without faces. I know we have to little slate trucks in the range which are great for people trying to replicate a real railway but sadly those of us who are trying to replicate the tv series are looking elsewhere . this from Thomas the Tank merch also shows the large scale models to so theres always a possibility to use the N scale truck face masks for these trucks. (Not sure if the N scale trucks faces are molded onto the body or if its just a separate thing. Assuming its separate)

Next is the brown trucks. Again these are another bit of rolling stock from the classic era and seen in the new era aswell. These again have the same appeal at least to me as the slate trucks and I'm sure would be something fans would buy if they were out there.
So I will ask the same questions as Terence did for Stepney.
1. Would you buy a narrow guage troublesome truck or rake of trucks?
2. Do you think a narrow guage Troublesome truck or trucks would be profitable?
3. If not a troublesome truck then what narrow guage rolling stock (besides breakvans and coaches) do you think would be good for the range?
I do seriously think that this is a piece of rolling stock that needs some consideration. Like i say i know we have the slate trucked which replicate the real life slate trucks perfectly and the open wagon but we do need something to give the rolling stock side a boost and I think a Troublesome truck would fit perfectly. Its not like they aren't a part of the Skarloey railway. Thank you for reading.

TrainFan97

The products I'm expecting to be released by the end of this year are the HO Scale LBSC Thomas, Busy Bee and Origin James, the 75th Anniversary Thomas set, and maybe the 1-Plank Wagons with Troublesome Truck #6. The first wave of N Scale models that include Thomas, Percy, Annie and Clarabel, Troublesome Trucks #1 and #2, and the Thomas starter set should also be available anytime now, by the end of this year for sure. Large Scale Diesel could also be available by the end of this year, since he already has an unpainted prototype, which will be fully painted soon, unless he arrives in stock in early 2021.

No new tooling for HO Scale should have priority over Stepney, as he's been in popular demand for many years. I wouldn't vouch for Norman until after Stepney gets announced. It's a shame Norman never got his chance to shine, and Mattel made no toy of him since their takeover. He literally speaks every three years, but did have some speaking roles in Season 23. He still has yet to have an episode dedicated to him that focuses on how much Norman keeps breaking down, but tries his best to work hard, being really useful and friendly. If Bachmann does make Norman someday, then they can also make Dennis, as he would use the exact same tooling, so two engines can be done there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07lTgrm901I
This fan-made episode shows how Mattel should've handled Norman, instead of just treating him like a background character. I really think Norman was wasted potential. Who else agrees that Mattel should've given Norman a chance to shine? Even Sidney had a chance to shine after Paxton did.

Bachmann must make Stepney first, though, being the next engine with a new tooling after Daisy, while the next recolor for HO Scale should be Sidney. Characters like Ryan, Norman, or even BoCo can be considered later priorities for new toolings after Stepney.

And about the Narrow Gauge Troublesome Trucks:
1. Yes, I would buy.
2. Yes, they would be profitable.

TerencetheTractor525

Thank you very much to everyone who responded to my Stepney post. I really appreciate it, and am confident that he will be announced next year, as long as things improve with the pandemic. There is no doubt that he is the best choice when it comes to new HO engines with a new tooling.

In response to TrainFan97's post on engine recolors, I fully support Bachmann making Sidney at some point since he is a separate character, just like Paxton. However, considering that there are now three Thomas models, and three James models, the engine that makes the most sense to make the next recolor with is Percy. He is the only one of the "main trio" that has not received any repaints.

One recolor that immediately comes to mind is "Chocolate Covered Percy" from Percy's Chocolate Crunch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC9NtDCvReg.

If possible, it would be interesting to see them tackle a "Jack Frost Percy" from Jack Frost as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEnSXtHZyeE, but I do see it as less likely since it is more than a simple recolor.

One other engine with modification that I would like to see is Gordon with the cable wire, which was seen throughout the early model series in episodes such as Down the Mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KquR4KdI8UU, and Percy Runs Away: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE1t0VT2iUQ. Not going to lie, I would purchase a brand new Gordon model just to get this cable wire. If other avid Thomas fans feel the same way, then this may be an idea to take into account. Bachmann could make a huge profit off something like this if that is the case, since a small addition, being the cable wire, should not be too costly. After all, the Red Rosie included the lamp that was not seen in the Pink Rosie that was announced prior to it. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Lastly, in response to Mulfred100's narrow gauge troublesome trucks suggestion, I would be all for them! If they make wagon tooling that is more accurate to the televisions series wagons, I may consider purchasing one or more. As for sales, seeing that rolling stock with faces generally do very well in HO scale, I could see narrow gauge troublesome trucks doing well with sales. Finally, apart from the brown brake van and green open carriage, there are not any other pieces of narrow gauge rolling stock that I would personally suggest.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Anthony P2

Would you buy a Bachmann Stepney?
Yes. I would definitely get a Bachmann Stepney! I have the Hornby version and would love to see how Bachmann would produce him.

How popular do you think that a Bachmann Stepney would be?
I think Stepney would be a popular model. Now that Bachmann have the licensing to distribute to the UK, I think Bachmann Stepney would do well overseas. Definitely at the Bluebell Railway for kids to own their own model version of him and for model clubs to run on their layouts at shows and exhibitions. If DCC compatibility is included then definitely a good item for clubs to have in the UK, AUS, and the US.

After reading this, is there any other HO engine you could see as a better suggestion than Stepney and why?
Possibly Ryan or Rebecca. More simple designs. Ryan being a tank engine in addition to Rebecca having a less complicated valve gear. Plus they'd add diversity among the characters in terms of newer faces kids are more familiar with and adding another female character would be great to get young girls interested in trains.

Kemptown Branch

I'd agree that Stepney should be made next. Terence, I think the Gordon with Cable Wire could be an interesting addition, although I think that if they do that, adding a new face could help with sales. Maybe the "working hard" version of his angry face like was seen in Down the Mine?

For Narrow Gauge, I'd guess Sir Handel and maybe a Brown Brake Van.

For N Scale, if they can announce another engine, I would guess Toby, but I think they might just do a lot of rolling stock this next year, since we still have James in progress. If that's the case, I think doing the Milk and Tar Tankers, S.C.Ruffy, and the coal wagon with load would be good choices.

For Large Scale, Red Coaches should be done next.
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

MeganekkoFury1126

Short answers: Yes, I'd buy Stepney for sure, since there's no way I'd be able to purchase the Hornby version without selling an arm and a leg. Same with Sir Handel in 009.

If we're going to talk about repaints of other characters, the only ones I'd be interested in would be Railway Series blue painted Donald and Douglas. I am one of those who prefer the twins in the all black schemes, but I know that many Railway Series purists would love blue Donald and Douglas since pretty much in all the books after The Twin Engines Donald and Douglas are painted blue. That is almost 50 years in terms of the books where Donald and Douglas are blue, so it's not just a one off thing like busy-bee James. I know the books and the show are two different things, but it would be a nice variation nonetheless.

Though, I personally wouldn't mind a Scrap Oliver and Toad from Escape, or a red undercoat Henry from Henry Sees Red (which might be better received than a Tickled Pink James). Long shot, I know, but a fan can dream.

TrainFan97

Scrap Oliver and Toad also sound like good ideas for future repaints. Blue Donald and Douglas would be great for Railway Series purists out there.

The reason why we haven't gotten any Percy repaints yet is because unlike Thomas or James, Percy really doesn't have much to work with. The best there is would be Chocolate Covered Percy and Jack Frost Percy; both of which are from Season 6, and at least they'd have a nostalgia factor. Throughout the entire history of the show, Percy has consistently kept his green livery.

I still think Sidney is the best choice for the next recolor in HO Scale. Not just because he would wrap up the Class 08 series of characters (excluding Splodge, Mainland Diesels, and international Class 08s), but also because he's a separate character like Paxton. Though, if we do get repaints that date back to the early 2000s or before, it could increase Splatter and Dodge's chances, simply because of how versatile Diesel's tooling is, despite being one-off characters, but we can't have Diesel 10 though, due to his claw. Splodge abandoned him anyway at the end. The reason Splatter and Dodge never came back is because their models were repainted back into 'Arry and Bert. They would've been more possible in the CGI series though. Fact: Splatter and Dodge were dropped from Day of the Diesels, and The Great Race.

I think what caused 'Arry and Bert not to sell well in HO Scale is because their faces looked almost identical, and it's hard to tell which one has more stubble.

Mulfred100

Thank you so much for the response regarding a Narrow Guage Troublesome Truck. Its something I'm really going to try and get behind for 2021. I ran a poll on my Instagram and I haven't got the biggest following but 77 out of 78 votes were all for a narrow guage Troublesome truck and the 78th voter messaged me saying he clicked the wrong box. It would be great to have a narrow guage rolling stock item with a face and a bit of character to it. Again this is something I feel they could do with the coaches further down the line once they start running out of ideas. As for the whole recolour thing. I do think Sidney will be the next in line but I think that these items should be approached with caution. Sindey or characters based of other characters like Billy/Charlie or Norman/Dennis or even Smudger and Bertrum yeah I fully Support as I do for repaints like Red Rosie or stuff like original Thkmas and James based on something special for the 75th anniversary but Busy Bee James was something no one asked for and I really don't think it will sell very well compared to the other two announcements. If Bachmann continues down this path making engines with different paint jobs it almost feels like its cheapening the brand a bit to me and going down the trackmaster/take n play/adventures route which I'm sure non of us want. Besides completests and people who want to remake their own version of that story can you really see people buying items like Busy Bee James or Blue Bill and Ben or Green Salty or glow in the dark Henry or Diesel ect. I'll be honest unless I was remaking something I don't think I would buy them. I know they are nice little alternatives but I can't see them doing very well if they go down that path. I'd love to be wrong and everyone to get what they want so everyone is happy I really would but thats how I see the matter unfortunately. I'm not trying to be rude just voicing my opinion on the matter

Chaz

Quote from: Mulfred100 on July 20, 2020, 03:00:28 AM
As for the whole recolour thing. I do think Sidney will be the next in line but I think that these items should be approached with caution. Sindey or characters based of other characters like Billy/Charlie or Norman/Dennis or even Smudger and Bertrum yeah I fully Support as I do for repaints like Red Rosie or stuff like original Thkmas and James based on something special for the 75th anniversary but Busy Bee James was something no one asked for and I really don't think it will sell very well compared to the other two announcements. If Bachmann continues down this path making engines with different paint jobs it almost feels like its cheapening the brand a bit to me and going down the trackmaster/take n play/adventures route which I'm sure non of us want. Besides completests and people who want to remake their own version of that story can you really see people buying items like Busy Bee James or Blue Bill and Ben or Green Salty or glow in the dark Henry or Diesel ect. I'll be honest unless I was remaking something I don't think I would buy them. I know they are nice little alternatives but I can't see them doing very well if they go down that path. I'd love to be wrong and everyone to get what they want so everyone is happy I really would but thats how I see the matter unfortunately. I'm not trying to be rude just voicing my opinion on the matter

Honestly, I 100% agree with you.  The problem with doing so many recolored engines is that not only does it get redundant and also make Bachmann kind of look bad if they continue to go down this route.  Red Rosie, LBSC Thomas and Origin James all work because those represent different eras as well as different parts of the Thomas and Friends history.  These recolors make the most sense to me and it would explain why people were requesting these recolors at the time.  Busy Bee James and some of these other recolors I've seen people suggest are recolors that were more or less made solely for toys in the episodes they appeared in.  Sidney is really the only other recolor that makes sense to me since he is a new character for the range, even then I can't imagine fans would be as excited for Sidney as they were for Paxton.

If Bachmann needs to do more recolors while Daisy and Peter Sam are on the way, I'd rather they stick to some of the more popular rolling stock toolings like red express coaches, some new vans or even a brown brake van for narrow gauge.  Troublesome trucks in narrow gauge are actually a really good idea too and I hope Bachmann can consider pulling those off in the future in addition to a brown brake van and Sir Handel in their narrow gauge range.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TrainFan97

You have a point there. Bachmann really should get new toolings out again. If recolors get too abundant, it'll only make Bachmann look bad. At least ONE new tooling is on the horizon for HO Scale, being Daisy. Once Stepney is announced, we can then discuss other new toolings for Bachmann, including characters like Ryan, Stanley, Norman, BoCo, and more. We understand the current situation with the pandemic, but Bachmann should do something to break the monotony with the HO range.

Sidney is really the only recolor left that actually makes sense, especially because he is a separate character. Red Rosie, LBSC Thomas and Origin James were acceptable because they represent different eras in time. Busy Bee James, on the other hand, was one nobody asked for. Sidney would sell better than that.

I would buy a Bachmann Sidney to complete my Class 08 collection.