Bachmann Thomas & Friends in 2021

Started by TerencetheTractor525, July 17, 2020, 09:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goosher

I think an N gauge Gordon and Henry would be great. But I want Edward and Toby 1st

TrainCollector

Good point. But as far as rolling stock I wanna see the Express coaches made as soon as possible. I think they'll go great with James. Since James was announced earlier this year and most likely won't be out until next year. I think the Express Coaches would be a great addition.

Chaz

I would bet on the red coaches happening sooner than express coaches in sooner if there are no plans to do Gordon or Henry in N scale.  If Gordon and Henry are being planned though then adding the express coaches would be the most logical additions for the next N scale rolling stock additions.

I've said it before, but Gordon and Henry really are the low-hanging fruit that would really take off in N scale and have phenomenal sales.  If they can't pull them off due to pricing or even the pandemic slowing things down then Edward or Toby would be the best back-up options for Bachmann to consider after James (especially Toby).
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TrainCollector

Oh Chaz that's a very good point. I'm pretty sure we are gonna get Gordon and Henry in N scale because all of Bachmann's n scale trains use the same track radius. So I don't think Gordon and Henry should be too challenging. Now I know this sounds rather illogical but maybe we could get Diesel 10 and Lady in N scale. Just because they weren't made in HO maybe we could get them in N scale if the demand is there. Just a thought. Well anyways Chaz I hope you have a great day, I just got Troublesome Truck 1 and Troublesome Truck 2 and I love them so much. I'm getting Percy when he comes out and my grandma told me she's getting me Thomas for Christmas. So my n scale line of Thomas products will be rolling along nicely.

Chaz

Glad to hear you're getting started collecting the N scale range too!  Regarding Lady and Diesel 10, besides the fact that they are not in HO, I think it might be too soon for Bachmann to consider any other engine outside of the remaining first 7 engines, Emily or Diesel.  Hope you have a great day as well.

Rodimus Supreme

Considering the NMRA has standards for every scale, I'd imagine an N Scale Diesel 10 would still breach NMRA standards.

TTL

Diesel 10 and lady are pretty out of the question, not only cause the claw would breach standards and cost a fortune realistically, there is very little demand for characters that Mattel themselves would rather be forgotten, especially lady.
Personally, I'd rather see a N scale Diesel next...granted not for N scale reasons but still.
Need me some Sir Handel and more Talyllyn stock.

ShadowMonk

HO:
Stepney

N:
Diesel
Brake Van
Milk Tanker
S.C.Ruffey

009:
Sir Handle

Large Scale:
Paxton (He was listed on Bachmann UK's website with a similar product number to LS Diesel, however it was removed after I had made a topic about it here, which was also removed so to me Paxton is pretty much confirmed for 2021).

jbray

Quote from: ShadowMonk on August 27, 2020, 03:52:15 AM
Large Scale:
Paxton (He was listed on Bachmann UK's website with a similar product number to LS Diesel, however it was removed after I had made a topic about it here, which was also removed so to me Paxton is pretty much confirmed for 2021).

If this is the case, they should focus on expanding the troublesome trucks/freight line to compliment the Diesels.

TerencetheTractor525

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imph5AJz2kw&ab_channel=TerencetheTractor525

I just uploaded a video, showcasing all the products that I hope to see announced by Bachmann in the coming years, not just next year. I only included HO Scale and HO Narrow Gauge, as those are the two scales that I personally collect.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Chaz

So while looking at what's been available in the newer packaging as well as some interesting choices Bachmann has made while listing parts in their parts catalog, I figured I would go ahead and add something a little different which would be products that are going to be discontinued/dropped next.  Only going to stick with HO for this list, since large scale is starting to get a breather again with Diesel coming out and the N scale and narrow gauge lines are still fairly new (though if anything is getting dropped from NG it would be the peco rolling stock recolors, I hope I don't have to explain why for those..).  So anyway here's my thoughts.

So the next HO engine I could see getting discontinued would be Rosie.  Not the red one, but the original.  Upon looking at Bachmann's parts lot they added some of their recent engines.  They skipped over the original Rosie but have parts available for the red Rosie instead.  This tells me that due to the original one not being all that popular or being well received, that the original Rosie model will be dropped in favor of the newer red livery which I think fans seemed to appreciate a lot more. 

For rolling stock my money is on the following:
The Green mail car
Cargo Car
Raspberry Syrup Tank
Cream Tank

These pieces of rolling stock have not been updated with the newer packaging, and I don't recall too many people going crazy over these when they first came out which is why I can see these four being discontinued next over the next year or two. 

As far as buildings and accessories go, the Tidmouth shed expansion pack seems to be a given after how the sheds themselves got discontinued.  I still don't know why the switch tower is still up after all these years, even outlasting some of the resin buildings, but I feel that will probably be dropped at some point too. 

As for resin buildings, I could see the Storage shed being dropped next (since I don't think that was ever based off of anything from the show), and maybe once the resin line is reduced to four buildings maybe Bachmann can introduce four new resin buildings in their place?  I feel that with Bachmann's Thomas range coming to the UK and resin buildings being a lot more popular over there it would be a missed opportunity for Bachmann to not introduce some new resin buildings in the future.  My thoughts on what resin buildings I would be most interested in seeing haven't really changed much, as they remain the same being:

Ffarquhar station
Toby's shed
Narrow gauge sheds
narrow gauge water tower (If they made this in resin, I think it would especially be popular with the OO9 crowd)

Anyway, curious to know what everyone else's thoughts are on what you think might get dropped or if there are other resin buildings you think should come out next. 

TTL

I definitely agree with adding NG resin buildings to the line, they would be immensely popular with 009 modelers especially if priced well.
Need me some Sir Handel and more Talyllyn stock.

Angelob6660

I liked the green mail car when it came out. I'll still be waiting for some brown ones.

Been meaning to get some cargo wagons but never managed to get them. One day I'll get one or two.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

TerencetheTractor525

On the subject of items to be discontinued, I definitely agree with Chaz. Specifically, there is no doubt that the amount of HO rolling stock that is currently available in the line is more than enough. Therefore, it makes sense to discontinue the worst sellers when announcing new pieces. For instance, if the Green Mail Car were to be discontinued, I would like to see a Brown Mail Car take its place. Perhaps a Silver Tanker could take the place of the Cream Tanker or Raspberry Syrup Tanker as well? It baffles me that the plastic switch tower is still in the line Thomas line too.

Regarding resin buildings, I also agree that it would be beneficial to announce one more batch of four new buildings after discontinuing one more building that is currently available, as resin buildings typically sell better in the UK. Personally, I would discontinue the resin storage shed, as it does not resemble anything memorable from the television series. As for the new batch I would love:

Ffarquhar Station
Retaining Wall
Narrow Gauge Double Engine Shed
Neptune Refreshments

With Maithwaite Station discontinued, Ffarquhar Station could technically be its "replacement" as it is a station that is pretty much the same size as Maithwaite. However, I can see Ffarquhar Station selling much better than Maithwaite Station because of how memorable it is, as the station that Thomas always stopped at in the Classic Thomas Intro.

I could see the Retaining Wall with Arches as the "replacement" for the Signal Box, and think that it will sell even better, as these walls have always been seen throughout the show, especially the ones with arches. I would sell the walls as 3-4 Arches per pack.

The Narrow Gauge Double Engine Shed could be the Storage Shed's "replacement" as they are similar in size. However, the Narrow Gauge Double Engine Shed would sell better due to its function and memorable look.

Finally, Neptune Refreshments could be the "replacement" for the Black Loch Folly, as both are very small structures. While I cannot say with confidence that I can see Neptune Refreshments selling as well as my three other new suggestions or even the Black Loch Folly, it is a small, iconic structure that would go wonderfully with Peter Sam, the blue narrow gauge carriages and the blue narrow gauge brake van.

Peter Sam and the Refreshment Lady, anyone? ;).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY66BzRYWR4&ab_channel=ThomasHDClassics

To go even further, they could discontinue the current resin single engine shed and replace it with Toby's Shed. And with Toby's Shed as a very memorable shed and the classic version smaller in size (since it just needs to be long enough to fit small engines, like Toby), I could see it selling better than the current engine shed in the line.

Additional suggestions for the resin building line have been stated in this thread:
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,34707.0.html
Hopefully, we will see one more batch of new buildings down the line :).
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

MrNormalDraws

I'll be talking only on the HO range as that's the one I'm only gonna be focusing on. So I'll talk about what items they should bring back or what they could offer.

Salty
I think they should try this again as it's only about 5 years since they discontinued the engine, and while I can understand why Bachmann stopped making it, I think they can try putting Salty out in the market again now they stopped Arry and Bert recently. Plus it's a different tooling so it would be good to bring this guy out again as some people (like me) didn't had the chance to get him when I got back into modeling.

Splatter and Dodge

With Arry and Bert now off of the market, I think it would be interesting to use the Class 08 tooling on these two as the only thing they have to do is just make a new face mold. Despite the fact Arry and Bert are more recognizable, I think Splatter and Dodge might work better for a few reasons. The first thing is that unlike the Ironwork Twins, Splodge are painted in different colors (green and purple). Plus because they never appeared in the CGI series, I think it'll be more of a excuse for Bachmann to give them different faces (eg Bill and Ben) as I think why Arry and Bert failed was because Bachmann made them a couple years after their CGI debut. Maybe give one diesel with a sad face and one with a happy one.

Now one of the issues with them is that they only appeared in one story, but that didn't let Bachmann stop and create the Spiteful Brake Van, who was also a oneoff. But I think the main issue I think some people might have with them is how the film bombed years ago and the canonicity of the film and the show, plus also I don't know if there's a rights issue between Mattel and Sony as they're the ones who released the film. But I think they have potential as it would allow Bachmann to try another model series character. Plus it would be a gateway for them to try out doing Magic Railroad characters in case they want to do Lady and Diesel 10 (regardless of the canon and status of the film) and it's the 20th anniversary of the film.

Tar Tankers

Another iconic item Bachmann made long ago before it was taken off the market. I think they would be good items as the show brought them back last year.

Wellwagons

Another item Bachmann made that was off the market, I think they are good for those who like to add other engines or vehicles on their trains. Maybe withe success with the conflats and flatbeds they brought back, maybe they can do the same.

Other items for the flatbeds
While I like the log cars from last year, I feel a bit off that they plastered logos on the sides. I know they're easy to take off, but  I don't want to ruin them by accidentally scraping the paint off of the wagons as well. So I like to see if Bachmann can make some other flatbed items.

Paint Drums

These were part of Bachmann's line in 2009, and while Calling All Engines wasn't my favorite special, I like the paint drums.

Oil Drums

If Bachmann wanted to resue the paint drum tooling, they can make them into oil drums, much like in the episode "Thomas to the Rescue".

Sets with other characters
The one thing I missed from Bachmann is that they would make sets on different characters besides Thomas. I think these sets were charming as it allows consumers on picking out a set besides Thomas. I think the sets they could bring back are either Percy's or Emily's as they have those engines and exact rolling stock still being made.