Bachmann Thomas & Friends in 2021

Started by TerencetheTractor525, July 17, 2020, 09:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaz

Quote from: MrNormalDraws on September 27, 2020, 06:50:35 PM
Sets with other characters
The one thing I missed from Bachmann is that they would make sets on different characters besides Thomas. I think these sets were charming as it allows consumers on picking out a set besides Thomas. I think the sets they could bring back are either Percy's or Emily's as they have those engines and exact rolling stock still being made.

Bachmann staff have stated that they aren't planning on introducing anymore sets for any other characters (besides Thomas) since sets for other characters like Percy, Emily, James or even Salty proved to not sell very well.  Sets with Thomas sell better because Thomas is the main character and is almost always the first engine fans want when they pick up a starter set to get them invested in the hobby.  It's exactly why they only gave Thomas a starter set in the N scale range and didn't bother to give one to Percy.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Angelob6660

I missed out on getting James freight set with the updated version with the cargo truck and fuel tank car. 
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

TerencetheTractor525

Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Chaz

The fact that the BoCo model is going for well over $800 and the auction isn't over yet is really saying something... definitely curious to see what the final sale will be.

Falcon the 2nd

That's honestly a very good custom Boco. The final price of it was outstandingly close to 1,000 US dollars (including shipping), so there must be some big hidden demand for him. I know I would love to see him made sometime after Daisy.
Wishlists:
HO Scale - Stepney, Tar Tanker
N Scale - Henry, Mavis, Milk Tanker, Brake Van

TerencetheTractor525

Agreed! I would love to see Bachmann make BoCo in the future as well. Here is another stunner:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-Hornby-THOMAS-THE-TANK-AND-FRIENDS-R9684-MURDOCH-Locomotive-DCC-Ready/264904270320?hash=item3dad8661f0:g:nD0AAOSwZbhfjHTf

Has not even been one day yet...

Edit: Check out my recent Twitter post.

https://twitter.com/TerencetheT525/status/1318310215796797440

Hopefully, it will spark some new and exciting ideas for Bachmann.

Falcon the 2nd

Wishlists:

TrainFan97

I do like the idea of using Bachmann UK toolings to make Arthur and Murdoch. Because new toolings for those characters are not financially feasible, but Bachmann UK has the toolings for them, they can be repainted, and given faces, with only the internals having to be altered for the eye mechanisms. I think using the Bachmann UK toolings for Arthur and Murdoch would be a great idea.

With Daisy on the horizon for next year, BoCo should also be possible, though he would require a new tooling. I would love for Bachmann to make BoCo, as he is the only other larger diesel Bachmann could make who wasn't a one-off character like Class 40 or Derek. Diesel 10 will never be made because of his claw.

The argument that characters who only appeared in the model series don't have demand holds no water. Stepney is the epitome of a model series character with demand.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Cheeky_ULP

Re-using Bachmann UK toolings is entirely missing the point of what set Bachmann Thomas apart from Hornby Thomas. It's just not worth all the hoops and hurdles Bachmann would have to go through when they could make a more accurate model with a new tooling from the ground up. It would be inconsistent with the rest of the brand. If a 9F or 2MT is too complicated tooling wise for the Thomas range, Bachmann has plenty of characters to pick from that are in high demand but would be less-demanding tooling wise, such as Stepney or BoCo.

TerencetheTractor525

I agree that what makes Bachmann special is that all the current engines are made with new toolings that matched the television series models. I also agree that Stepney or BoCo should be considered before Murdoch or Arthur, as Stepney and BoCo would fit the budget as far as completely new toolings are concerned. However, with a listing of a Hornby Murdoch at approximately $1,360 USD at the moment with multiple bidders, and seeing that Bachmann has made many unique additions to the Thomas line altogether: Narrow Gauge, Resin Buildings, etc. I do not see this as out of the question. To me, saying that Murdoch & Arthur cannot happen is like saying that Bachmann would have never been able to do Narrow Gauge or N Scale because moving eyes would have not been able to be incorporated within those models. Yet, they still surprised us.

TerencetheTractor525

With the three 1-Plank Wagons with Crates revealed, and Troublesome Truck #6 most likely not far from completion, I am confident that we will see some new HO rolling stock announced in 2021. Even though most fans have stated that they would like to see rolling stock such as the explosives van, circus train, and return of the red express coaches, I wanted to bring up some ideas that have been suggested much less frequently.

Starting with Toby's Museum Brake Coach, this piece of rolling stock appeared throughout the late model series, most notably at the end of the episode Toby Feels Left Out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGpdUfGm1s8&ab_channel=ThomasHDClassics. This coach would be an excellent way to reuse the Bachmann Red Brake Coach tooling, and it is a unique paint scheme: primarily dark brown with cream lining and a white roof. A standard coach would go wonderfully with the brake coach as well, even though the standard coach did not appear in the show.

The next rolling stock suggestion is Gordon's Special Coach. Two of them appeared throughout the late model series, specifically in the episode Emily and the Special Cars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbLoOebXyks. Gordon's Special Coach is also a recolor of an existing tooling in the line: Spencer's Special Coach, and it is one of my favorites, as the dark blue paint scheme with red and gold stripe looks very smart. Would definitely purchase two of these.

Finally, I would love to see one of Thomas' New Troublesome Trucks as well as one of James' New Troublesome Trucks from the episode Thomas' New Trucks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh90y7iNTHc. While these are technically standard troublesome trucks, they are exclusive to the episode Thomas' New Trucks. Thus, calling the Bachmann models "Thomas' New Troublesome Truck" and "James' New Troublesome Truck" would be more than acceptable to me. What's more, considering that Thomas and James each received eight new trucks in the episode, I know for fact that many avid Thomas fans would buy more than one of both.

If we are lucky enough to see these announced, I have suggested the faces that I would like to see for Thomas' New Troublesome Truck & James' New Troublesome Truck below as well:

Thomas' New Troublesome Truck Face:

James' New Troublesome Truck Face:

Thank you very much for reading my suggestions, and I look forward to reading everyone's thoughts.

Chaz

I've spoken out against most of Bachmann's recent rolling stick recolors in the past as they don't resemble anything seen on the show.  These however I would be more than open to as these are accurate to what's been on the show in the past.

Toby's Museum coach I would be the most open to as these are probably one of the few pieces of rolling stock on the show past the classic seasons that looks pretty decent and not too colorful or wacky.  It would be a little odd to see it without a standard coach though even though one was never made for the show.  If they made a standard coach to go with it I would happily buy a pair of them.

It would honestly be pretty funny yet a little frustrating if they went that route and didn't even bother to make a brake coach for Spencer, but that's water under the bridge.

Gordon's special coaches would be fun too.  Like Toby's museum coach I am curious to know if they would just stick to one coach or if they would go the full mile and make a brake coach as well.  Probably not something I would be interested in though but I can see these being fairly popular. 

Thomas and James' Trucks I would probably pass on too, but if they go the full mile and make new model era style faces for these and not reuse any of the previous truck faces, I can see these being extremely popular sellers and I would happily buy some myself.

TerencetheTractor525

Thanks for posting your thoughts, Chaz! Great to see that you are on board with my rolling stock suggestions.

On a separate note, the auction for the Hornby Murdoch model just ended a few minutes. The final price is nearly 3,000 USD, plus shipping :o:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-Hornby-THOMAS-THE-TANK-AND-FRIENDS-R9684-MURDOCH-Locomotive-DCC-Ready/264904270320?hash=item3dad8661f0:g:nD0AAOSwZbhfjHTf

Talk about demand...

jbray

Quote from: TerencetheTractor525 on October 25, 2020, 04:16:12 PM
On a separate note, the auction for the Hornby Murdoch model just ended a few minutes. The final price is nearly 3,000 USD, plus shipping :o:

Talk about demand...

A sample size of one is not indicative of demand. Given that model railroading has an expense barrier, this seems like it is more indicative of a tiny subset of enthusiasts with enough money to spend whatever they like to complete their roster. 'Arry and Bert prove that when you get down to the level that only completionists are buying the product, it is no longer viable for the manufacturer to produce. Do you really think that Hornby would pull out of the Thomas market if it was making them money hand over fist? They weren't even making unique tooling for their locomotives and it wasn't enough money for them to continue.

At the end of the day, this is a case study of which we need multiple case studies to indicate larger demand.

Falcon the 2nd

Quote from: jbray on October 26, 2020, 01:06:11 PM
A sample size of one is not indicative of demand. Given that model railroading has an expense barrier, this seems like it is more indicative of a tiny subset of enthusiasts with enough money to spend whatever they like to complete their roster. 'Arry and Bert prove that when you get down to the level that only completionists are buying the product, it is no longer viable for the manufacturer to produce. Do you really think that Hornby would pull out of the Thomas market if it was making them money hand over fist? They weren't even making unique tooling for their locomotives and it wasn't enough money for them to continue.

At the end of the day, this is a case study of which we need multiple case studies to indicate larger demand.
That's honestly a very good point now that I think of it. We may be making conclusions a little too early with just one listing and multiple may be necessary to determine the profitable nature of a character in a particular scale, similar to my post on the Tomix Henry. Custom characters like the earlier shared Boco are more of a special case, but for characters already officially made by other companies, it may be worth looking into several listings overtime before jumping to any conclusions.

Characters with as few appearances as Murdoch are naturally going to have some wealth to them and appeal to a certain competitionist demographic. It may be better for the long run to let other, more well-known characters like Stepney and Ryan be made first in their suitable respective lines before approaching obscure territory. I like Duke as much as the next guy, but I know it's better to let Sir Handel and Duncan have their shots first.

While we're talking about well-known characters, I'm honestly surprised not many have mentioned the possibilities of Hiro and Victor. Both have grown to be recognizable favorites among differing demographics, both have appeared consistently since their debuts and both have potential to be solid sellers for Bachmann.

Concerning Hiro, he would be a fitting and gratifying first choice of a new tender engine in the HO range, after Donald and Douglas way back in 2011. Even though I don't recall many customs for him being made and the costs may be similar to Murdoch in height, children are more likely to know him from the GCI Thomas media. To my knowledge, Japan got their first glimpses of the HO Thomas line this year, so it's all the more appropriate to make Hiro now that the line is being sold in his country of origin. Even though I don't see it happening too soon, I can still see Hiro being easily welcomed by fans.

After the main six Narrow Gauge engines are made, I also feel like Victor deserves consideration. His case is similar to Hiro's in a sense so there's not as much I have to say, though he's appeared a little more often. And if need be for a Narrow Gauge recolor, his yellow paint job from "Blue Mountain Mystery" makes a viable option. Even without a complementary Steamworks building, he would still be a natural addition to the engine selection.

Another character worth briefly mentioning is Glynn. There's a certain novelty to him that is shared by the upcoming LBSC Thomas & Origins James and I think fans would also be welcome to him. The two issues that I think are preventing him from being made are his less frequent appearances (both in the show and merchandise) and his compact size, though the latter may not be as much of an issue if he were made in Large Scale. If Winston was made without a problem, Glynn may have a shot and he may even sell better. Maybe he could be announced alongside an LBSC Thomas in the same scale.

Hard for me to conceive a way to conclude all this, but I do hope the points I made here are taken into consideration by the Bachmann team when thinking about future characters.
Wishlists: