News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

missing a smoke switch

Started by charlie8177, December 26, 2007, 11:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie8177

I purchased the 2007 Northern Lights Holiday train set and set it up around the tree for Christmas.   The instruction manual says to open  the smokebox door on the front of the locomotive and turn the switch on to make smoke.  However, my train does not have a switch.  So I dropped a few drops of smoke oil down the smokestack anyway to see what would happen.  Still no smoke.   Do I have a defective locomotive?  Or a newer model.

Loco Bill Canelos

Did you pull the whole smokebox off the front?  or just open the little door on the front of the smokebox? 

If you opened the door, you should see two switches inside one is the smoke on/off.

If you pulled off the entire front of the smokebox you should have seen a bunch of wires which are behind the switches.

Good Luck

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

charlie8177

The locomotive doesn't have a little door like the instruction manual shows.  So I popped the front off thinking it may be behind the lid.  I see some wires but no switches.

Paul W.

Look down the smoke stack to see if you see anything that resembles a wire. The Bachmann did address this same topic on another thread
Happy Steamin'

Paul

the Bach-man

Dear Charlie,
The door should open. One of the dogs will have a shiny rivet around which it will pivot, allowing the door to swing open.
Happy New Year!
the Bach-man

Jon D. Miller

Possibly a picture will be of some assistance.  Never realized that the 10-Wheeler and its smoke box door could be this complicated.

This picture is that of an Annie.  The less detailed 10-Wheelers will be exactly the same as far as the smoke box door and switches are concerned.

If the locomotuve in question does not have a smoke box door and switches behind then it should be put in a special case for all to see.  It has to be one of a kind and worth big $$$$.
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)