News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

logging engines

Started by graywolf, July 25, 2020, 09:05:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

graywolf

Are all the logging and mining engines that you see on various layouts only available in larger scales then HO?

Trainman203

The "logging" 2-6-2 and 2-8-2 catalog engines of the early 20's holler to be offered as contemporary Bachmann HO Spectrum style models.  Years ago they were in brass but as we know, with only a few exceptions brass models were not paragons of smooth operation like today's engines are.

JDLX

"Logging and Mining" engines covers a pretty broad range of models.  Graywolf, it would help in queries like this one if you could flesh out your question a little bit, as we can't read your mind or know what you are seeking. 

That being said, there have been a lot of HO scale logging and mining locomotive models produced in both brass and plastic through the years.  Off the top of my head the plastic models I can come up with include Bachmann's 3-truck Shay, 2-truck Climax, and 3-truck Climax; Model Die Casting/Roundhouse also made 2- and 3- truck Shays and Class A Climax locomotives; I think it was AHM that made 2- and 3- truck Heislers, Rivarossi later released updated and improved versions; and Mantua made 2-6-6-2 "Loggers" in two types of saddle tank and a tender equipped versions.  I don't think any of these are available new now, and several have been out of production for many years, but they are readily available through all the various used markets. 

In addition to the above list there are a number of smaller plastic steam locomotives that could readily be found on logging railroads.  Bachmann and Mantua both made smaller 2-6-2 prairies that could be reasonable stand ins, the Bachmann is still available but the Mantua has been out of production for many decades.  MDC/Roundhouse "old time" 2-6-0 and 2-8-0 models are both good starting points for logging locomotives, and Athearn has released upgraded versions of these in their Roundhouse line.  Ten wheelers were rare but not unheard of on logging railroads, and Bachmann's 4-6-0 would be a good starting point. 

Logging and mining steam have been incredibly popular in brass.  There have been many, many brass models of Shays, Hieslers, Climaxes, and Willamettes in many shapes and sizes produced.  Some of the logging rod locomotives produced in brass include 2-6-2T and 2-8-2Ts; four or five versions of 70-ton logging mikados; three 2-6-2 prairies; several variations of the 2-4-4-2, 2-6-6-2 and 2-6-6-2T logging mallets; plus some smaller locomotives like 0-8-0T, 0-4-4-0T, and a Vulcan Duplex.  As in plastic there are also a fairly large number of other small brass steamers that can be easily adapted for logging railroad service.  Unfortunately, most of these models date from the 1960s/1970s, can be expensive to purchase, and generally require motor replacement and substantial drive train upgrades if they are to be operated today.

I'll echo what Trainman203 said, that Baldwin 2-6-2 and 2-8-2 logging specific prototypes would be most welcome additions to Bachmann's line.  As noted above, there have been three logging specific prairies produced in brass, the generic "Prairie King", Polson/Rayonier #45, and the Oregon-American #105.  The "Prairie King" is closest to the earliest versions of the Baldwin logging prairie from the late 1800s/early 1900s, while both of the others are models of essentially one-off prototypes that had relatively few to no others like them.  I'd love to see a "modern" Baldwin prairie (middle 1920s), along the lines of the Dolbeer & Carson 3 or McCloud River #20/#21.  As for the Mikados, the brass versions produced have been a late 1890s Brooks mikado, two versions of the Polson/Rayonier #70, Brooks-Scanlon/Georgia Pacific #5, and the Owen Oregon/Medford Corp/California Western #3/#45.  All of these are in the 70-or so ton weight class, which were on the smaller end of the Baldwin logging mikado.  I'd love to see a model of a Baldwin 90-ton logging mikado, but I've pretty much given up that it will happen. 

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV 

graywolf

Thanks All for the education. It seems there is little demand or we would see some offerings.

rich1998

For one thing, logging locos run maybe ten miles per hour. They did not want to dump those log loads.
My rebuilt MDC Climax with sound runs at eight MPH  and sounds a lot faster. The Climax type MDC  modeled was a two cylinder geared down steam engine.

Rich

Ken Huck

Brass:

Shay

One of my favorites, a vertical boiler Climax.

...and let's not forget the obscure, Vulcan duplex.

I've got another half dozen or so brass loggers, but as TM203 said, they are sluggish runners.

Ken

graywolf

Very nice Ken, thanks for the photos.

WoundedBear

Oh man.....that Vulcan :o

Sid

J3a-614

This page may be of interest here, even if rather specialized.  It does include notes about models of logging Mallets made over the years in HO scale, including some that were mass produced by Mantua.

http://loggingmallets.railfan.net/

Trainman203

I'm no logging road expert, even though I've spent a lot of my adult life in Mississippi, a very unknown and never-modeled logging/lumber export locale compared to the familiar Pacific Northwest.  There were dozens of logging railroad operations  here, and they all shared a couple of things- terrible track and very slow engines because the track was so terrible.  I always get a laugh out of "logging" layouts with ballasted very heavy mainline type track.  Maybe it existed somewhere but I would think heavy duty track would have been the exception.  One thing I know that happened here was lumber company trains, with company road locomotives , crews , and cabooses being run over a Class 1 host railroad  from the cut site to the lumber mill, in once case 50 miles away I'm told.  The logs came out of the woods on jackleg cars over constantly relocated jackleg track very slowly pulled by geared steam engines down to a regular railroad, where they were then loaded onto more roadworthy cars for the possibly rather long trip to the sawmill, often a much more massive operation than commonly thought.  This is where regular "rod" engines, lettered for a lumber company,  can be utilized on a layout.

I love the way all the lumber industry railroad stuff looked...... but if you ever spent an August day down in Mississippi deep in the woods doing any kind of work ..... you really would not want to have been a logger down here back in those days.🥵🥵🦟🕷🐜

Len

The Mantua 2-6-6-2 locos are a bit oversize for HO, but make a good starting point for an 'S' scale narrowgauge loco.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

So would the very oversized "HO scale" Sierra 4-6-0 No. 3 that Tyco made way back, for a lumber company road engine or mill switcher.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JxNE7QxVZbQ/SFweEV44pHI/AAAAAAAAAHI/Z7ac6CWAf6M/w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu/OO+004.JPG

rich1998

Yes, I have that loco and it is oversize but nice. I re-geared it and put a can motor with flywheel in it many years ago. The same gear setup used in MDC, Roundhouse locos. What a sweet runner it was.

Rich

Trainman203

Wasn't the late Harold Minky doing narrow-gauge S scale using HO track, wheels, and engine mechanisms? What was that called?  Sn-something.  Maybe close to a prototype 42" gauge? Unusual but not unheard of.  Seems like the Tyco 4-6-0 would have been almost perfect for that right out of the box.  He often used small HO steam engines but redetailed them with S scale cabs and fittings if I recall.