News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Big Hauler "Gold Rush"

Started by udidwhat?, July 27, 2020, 01:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

udidwhat?

During visit ti USA from GB I was conned to buy a 'new' (Oh no it isn't) I now find the brass worm drive has shredded the next nylon gear so loco u/s.
I has seen Bachmann CH 90094 on line. Is this the right chassis?
Help/advice please.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi, UDW,

Yes that chassis will work fine on your locomotive.  There is no exact replacement, but this one is different than yours in two ways.  Yours has the old time pilot(cowcatcher), while the chassis 90094 has the shorter modern pilot.  You will have to use your existing pilot on the replacement chassis.  On your loco the cylinder boxes are painted blue, while the ones on the 90094 are black.

it is a simple task replacing the pilot, and if you want you could paint the cylinder boxes on the new chassis.

For more info check out this link:

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30394.msg224039.html#msg224039

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

udidwhat?

Your details passed to me by Greg Elmassian. I am very happy to find two well informed men in the community to help. It revitalizes my faith in humanity after the shark at the Tombstone store.
Thanks to both.

udidwhat?

Having ordered new chassis, I got a bit brave and took out worn gear. Downloading photo seems beyond me. The exploded drawing don't seem to show the gear I have. It is the stepped gear; larger (worn) drive by worm and smaller moulded on as one item. Any wise person have a box full or know the part number. If I can get old chassis working I'll have an excuse to be in the shed (and out of trouble) creating some useful doc like cover.

Loco Bill Canelos

From 1994 to 2004 the Gold Rush locomotive was produced using the Version 3, 4, and 5 chassis andgearbox.  The most likely reason the diagrams do not show your gearbox is because the diagrams only show the latest version 5 chassis, and not the version   3 or 4. 

You can use the info at the bottom of this link to determine which chassis you have and go from there.

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30394.msg224039.html#msg224039

Read the section marked "Repair Options" carefully and you will see my recommendations.  The "chassis identification" info is almost at the bottom of the topic.

Hope this helps

Bill

Greg Elmassian

Told you Bill was "the man".... thanks for the help Bill...

Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

udidwhat?

And if anyone was vaguely interested in the outcome;- reply from Bachmann services," no longer available as a spare". If Harrison,a woodworker could make the first nautical clock, I guess I better start within'.

Loco Bill Canelos

Sorry to hear that, but any of the available chassis will fit.  Variations might be the pilot, paint, and perhaps the switch openings, all of wh9ich are easy to overcome.

Hang in there!

Bill