Garratt Locomotives on the Puffing Billy Railway

Started by fred lundgren, August 16, 2020, 10:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtnut

Would be really, really nice if Bachmann would do one of these little Garretts in On30.  I would think there might be a world-wide audience for one.

max (uk)

The NGG16s were the largest locomotives ever made for 2ft gauge, so I wouldn't exactly call them little.

129 has been re-gauged to 2ft 6" to run on the Puffing Billy Railway, which is convenient for us as a model of it would be accurate for On30.

The other garratt G42 was one of two 2-6-0 0-6-2 locomotives built for the Victorian Railways in Australia. Haskell made their only other class of locomotive in On30, the Na 2-6-2t, so a G class garratt would be a perfect addition.

If Bachmann made either of the garratts seen in the video in 1:48 for On30, it would be a definite purchase for me.

ebtnut

I might note that one of those South African Garretts has made its way to the US.  It is on a private estate somewhere in Texas and does operate occasionally.

max (uk)

That will be NGG13 No.50. Nice to hear it's still in operational condition if so. I think it might be the only Garratt locomotive in North America.

There are quite a few NGG16s back in the UK now. No.130 has nearly finished being rebuilt to be the fourth of the class to run on the Welsh Highland Railway.

They have appeared in many pretty colours too: Black, red, green, blue...