News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

tenders

Started by OLDERTIMER, July 28, 2020, 07:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OLDERTIMER

Hey Jonathan, I was just looking at your website at all your neat pictures and ran across the side view of one of your great upgraded connies, the one on the turntable.  How, exactly, did you shorten that tender?  I get the basics, put it in a mitre box and use your mitre saw.  I have a Roundhouse passenger car that someone made by cutting two into and then combining them I found at a swap meet.  The things I don't understand are (1) where did you find that tall of a mitre box and (2) how did you attach the two halves of the tender base  together?  If you have a detailed set of photographs with instructions like you made on disassembling your connie that would be wonderful but most any info you have would be great.  Thanks in advance, Paul G

WoundedBear

Not to diminish any advice Jonathan will give you, please have a look at my scratch bashed 2-6-6-2 cab forward photos for some ideas on cutting and splicing a cab and tender together.

https://public.fotki.com/WoundedBear/scale-model-railroading/2662cabforward/

Sid

OLDERTIMER

Please forgive me Sid, I had someone pressuring me to get off the computer and I didn't have time to think how best to word my post to include everyone as there are several of you who are highly skilled and could answer my questions.  You and anyone else who has something to share is welcome to join in.  Thanks very much.Paul G

WoundedBear

No offense taken Paul. I was hoping to offer some advice without offending you lol.

As for your query on Fotki.....yes, I made that cut with just the blade. Scribe the back of the point repeatedly along the straight edge until it cuts through.

Sid

jonathan

Paul,

Apologies.  Just returned from a vacation to visit family in Minnesota.  Didn't do much internet up there.

I went through my photo, but could find an example of tender chopping.

I do recall not using a miter box.  I did some serious measuring to cut up a USRA long tender for a project. I scored all my markings with a sharp blade, marked with tape, and then used a new razor saw.  Used the same process on the metal frame.  I used epoxy to attach the shortened frame pieces.  I recall (but can't swear to it) that I helped support the frame with an extra metal strip along the frame for strength.

Then it's just a matter of working the seams until they disappear-- filling in the cracks and fine sanding.

All I can remember for now.  Will look again for some photos.

Regards,

Jonathan

OLDERTIMER

Hey Jonathan, I had a feeling you might be doing the V bit.  This is the time of year for it.  That's certainly a neat old Ford your Dad has. 
The photo I was referring to is in your "Welcome to my web site" (what do you call those things, anyway?).  The photo I saw showed one of your B&O connies on the turntable with a tender that looked like an original tender on a 900 series IC loco.  In other words, short. Never having been much of a draftsman I thought perhaps there might be a way to make one measurement and one cut so if I screwed up everything would tilt the same direction rather than four different directions at once.  In any case, if there is anything you can add to what Sid kindly offered I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again, Paul

jonathan

Ah. it just ocurred to me... You may have seen a photo of my brass connie sitting on the turntable from my last layout.  Yes. Indeed that tender is short, but I didn't do that.  The loco came that way. Your instincts are correct.  I believe that brass loco was delivered using a tender that was not really B&O.  Probably looked so good that way, no one complained.

Regards,

Jonathan

OLDERTIMER

OK, that makes sense.  Thanks for checking anyway.  Between what Sid gave me and what I've been able to glean from other sources I should be fine.  Now all I need to do is find Bert Lahr (the cowardly lion) and get directions to the emerald city and the wizard.  Thanks again, P'  ;D

Trainman203

The Bachmann 2-8-0 is basically an IC 900 Harriman prototype.  Not that different from certain SP and UP engines. It had a short tender.  Bachmann should have offered an IC version with short tender and optional replacement Paducah squared sand dome.  And offered SP and UP versions using the Vanderbilt tenders they once catalogued.  Wouldn't be that hard to do, oh kind sirs.