News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-10-2 USRA HEAVY.

Started by Mark Damien, December 26, 2007, 10:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Damien

I hope you all had a Merry Christmas?

It was a quiet family day today, no friends or relatives; We were all playing with our new toys.

I received a Walthers USRA HEAVY 2-10-2. I hitched her up & sent her up a 2% grade with 24 hoppers & caboose, but she lost traction half way up.

I removed the caboose & six hoppers & she got her footing and moved on.

My USRA LIGHT 2-10-2, just hauls this load on the same section of track.

I had a look at the Heavy & decided the Sprung Pony Trucks were possibly unloading the Drivers. I removed the front spring & tried again - This time it hauled 24 hoppers, but stalled with the caboose.

Off came the rear truck spring & the caboose was included in the consist.

The modified Front Pony truck doesn't find any track irregularities either. The spring tended to make the lateral movement stiff & so the truck had a memory of the last curve, & flanged the rail on one side once reaching a straight.

All's well, that ends well.

Happy New Year.

Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

SteamGene

That's strange.  I found the reverse to be true.
Merry Third day of Christmas.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

trainguy

Did you check the wheelsets on the tender to make sure there is no binding on the wipers
the first one that I got the wipers were so tight against the backs of the wheels that the wheels would not rotate
I even painted dots on the outside of the wheels so I could see if they were turning(in most cases they weren't)
by carefully bending the wipers away from the back of the wheels I finally got them to rotate freely
that could cause a severe drag on the engine and limit your drawbar effort
I assume you installed the traction tire
merry christmas and a safe and happy new year
Lou

Mark Damien

Quote from: SteamGene on December 27, 2007, 08:56:29 AM
That's strange.  I found the reverse to be true.
Merry Third day of Christmas.
Gene

That's only 'cause you're on the other side of the world to me.  ;)

================================================

Quote from: trainguy on December 27, 2007, 06:24:29 PM
Did you check the wheelsets on the tender?
I assume you installed the traction tire?
merry christmas and a safe and happy new year
Lou

G'Day Lou,

I had a look at the wipers and one was a little tight so I eased the pressure, but it wasn't enough to haul anymore. But good point - Thanks

Since it hauls the same load as the Bachmann 2-10-2, I'm satisfied. Anyway , it's always another good excuse to Double Head - Yeah Baby!!! ;D

I don't use Traction tyres if I have a choice. That's not to say, I think you shouldn't. It's just a case of.....
"You say Potatoes, I say potartoes, you say tomatoes, I say tomartoes"...... :D

Happy New Year
Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark