Modular Club meet Ups - What's Appropriate?

Started by prr22, August 03, 2020, 12:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prr22

So I'm a club guy...  We have a small modular layout that we take out twice a year but that's it.  The stuff that we run on it is always things that we are okay with getting grabbed or stolen.  But, a friend invited me to come with him to a modular club meet up one day after COVID ends.  What is appropriate to bring?  How many locos?  How many cars?

Thanks!  (Sorry if some people get annoyed because this is such an obvious question for the modular guys LOL  ;D)
Modeling the rolling hills from Baltimore to Pittsburg

Trainman203

I'd say bring more than you think you need and leave it in the car untilf they tell you inside what is needed.  However, I'd try to find out the era they model in advance so you don't bring Civil War stuff to a contemporary layout.

I'm sensitive to this because even though I own a few early diesels to have a well rounded personality, I'm really all steam 1930's or 40s.  I was about to pursue joining a club until I found out they'd ripped out the roundhouse and turntable and replaced it a diesel shop, and set the era from 1980 on.  Well that's nice of them to allow cabooses.  But I'm a shortline 30s/40s steam guy.  Not much in common with the group.  Better to run my own show at home.

WoundedBear

I'm with you Trainman. Im a lone wolf modeller. I even gave up on the mainstream model train magazines over 10 years ago. The only one I read now is Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette.

I tried going to the local club's open house and a regular meeting. Didn't find anyone sharing my interest in early 1930s steam backwoods shortline.

That said....I know a few of the guys that are, or were, part of that club, and no one has ever mentioned a problem with theft. When I was invited to the open house, no one had to stand guard to keep people from pocketing items. Must be a good different mindset in our societies.

BTW.....I like that you're optimistic about Covid ending lol. We are gonna be blessed with the Chinese Virus for a long long time. Get used to it.

Sid

Len

Since my layout is still mostly in boxes, if I bring steam to a primarily diesel club layout I just tell them to think of it as a special excursion by a railroad museum. Which is true, because when it's set up my layout is the "KL&B Eastern Lines Railroad Museum". "Eastern" being considered anything east of the Continental Divide.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

Sid I am lucky that there is one other model railroader on the Gulf Coast who likes small steam engines and 1930's mixed trains like me.  He and I have been invited to build an operate an accurate localized period museum layout .  Probably will be a Southern Rwy branch.  That's our project for the next year.

prr22

My club started as all steam. The diesel guys came in so now it's mixed. Transition era, but anything goes...

Trainman203

At the club in question, before my time  they ripped out all the steam facilities and basically told the steam guys their engines weren't welcome any more.

It's just as well.  One guy seemed to be the dictator there.  Maybe all clubs have one.

prr22

Lol my club did too, but he no longer participates in club functions anymore lol. Guess being a dictator was hard work  ;D

Maletrain

You could run a short Civil War era train on a modern layout - just call it a fan steam special.  ;D  (I've run a 1900 train on a 1980s layout, and it was popular.)

What doesn't work so well is trying to run a modern diesel on a Civil War layout - unless you bring along that tricked-up DeLorean model with the white haired professor standing beside it.  ::)

Trainman203

There once was a guy in one of the magazines that did a contemporary layout as if it had retained steam power.  The modern 2-8-4's and 4-8-4's in particular were especially plausible since many were built during WW2 and in 2000 could have easily have had a 50 or more year service life, like a whole lot of 1900-era 2-8-0's and USRA engines had in 1953.  The Nickel Plate originally considered keeping their modern 2-8-4's in service until the mid 60's but the late 50's recession sidelined them early.  The IC kept long lines of steam engines in ready reserve until up into the 60's too.  I wish I remembered the reference where to find the layout article.

prr22

That would be quite a sight.  But honestly, I run my Berkshires and pacifics with auto racks more than I'd like to admit...

Trainman203

All that ought to make steam ok on a contemporary layout.

Joe323

Quote from: Trainman203 on August 05, 2020, 12:16:18 PM
At the club in question, before my time  they ripped out all the steam facilities and basically told the steam guys their engines weren't welcome any more.

It's just as well.  One guy seemed to be the dictator there.  Maybe all clubs have one.

That was one of the reasons I didn't join a local club and tye club I would like to join you s not feasible until I retire."