News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

digitrax DCC help

Started by Ty.the.railroad.guy, August 04, 2020, 08:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ty.the.railroad.guy

Hello,
So I'm planning on using digitrax as my dcc power supply once I get a full fledged layout running, but I need some help from some fellow digitrax users.

So I plan to use the zephyr express as the main source of power, but I also want to use a remote so that i can walk around the layout, and in case of an accident I can be right near it instead of having to get up and run to the other end said layout. Here's where I get confused, I know I'll need the UP5's to make this work, but can anyone tell me the specific way to hook it up? like is this where the loconet cables come in? or is that used for something else? I'm trying to make the cabling of my layout as simple as possible, but I'm willing to read any recommendations anyone can offer.

Thanks
Why model a specific era, when you can just let your imagination run wild?

prr22

As a long time Digitrax user, let me tell you it is way easier than you think. All "modern" Digitrax throttles are infrared capable (if you choose an infrared receiver, much less than duplex with near same results). Take a loconet cable, plug one end into EITHER slot on the back of the zephyr express, and plug the other into the UP5 (again, either slot on the back), or whatever plug you so choose. For the infrared and regular receivers at least, I haven't had to add an exterior power source, and haven't had any problems.

If you want photos, let me know. Good luck!   ;D
Modeling the rolling hills from Baltimore to Pittsburg

Ty.the.railroad.guy

That's what I thought those cables were for. Thanks a bunch lad  :)
I might've misread it, but do you recommend the duplex? Or does it matter just as long as it has the infrared technology? Also should I get ur90 or ur92?
Why model a specific era, when you can just let your imagination run wild?

Trainman203

There's a digitraxx forum where this discussion should be. 

prr22

For layouts that are less than 2000 sq ft, definitely use infrared. Duplex is impractical for layouts that are not MASSIVE
Modeling the rolling hills from Baltimore to Pittsburg