News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Headlight issue on 4-6-2 Sound Value loco

Started by whmoore, August 10, 2020, 03:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whmoore

Hello,
The backup tender light on my USRA 4-6-2 was always on when the loco was moving forward.  I found an RMC forum which said setting CV=129 would change this so the tender light only worked when the loco reversed.  This step was successful however the headlight which was previously bright when moving forward now is only dim.   When I hit F0 the headlight goes off completely.  I attempted to reset the decoder a couple of times with CV30=2 but while the loco resets to default id 3 and other functions all work, the issue with the headlight does not go away.

Has anyone encountered this issue as well?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Hunt

Resetting the sound value decoder CVs to their factory default value is a two-step procedure.

1)  Program CV 8 to 8
   2)  Cycle power to the decoder by turning power to the track off and back on

After about six-seconds upon restoring power the headlight and backup light will blink simultaneously 16 times indicating that the CVs were successfully reset. However, if sound or lights come on immediately upon restoring power, the decoder did not successfully reset. Repeat the two-step procedure.

For directional lighting (on/off)

Program
CV 33 = 1
CV 34 = 2
CV 49 = 129
CV 50 = 129

whmoore

Thank you for your help.  After reprogramming the directional lights now work correctly however the forward light is still quite a bit dimmer than in reverse.  Perhaps it is an issue with the led itself?  However I am satisfied with have the directional function working and I can probably live with a dim forward light.
Cheers.

Hunt

Select forward direction. With the locomotive stopped,  what happens to the headlight brightness level when you press F7? 

whmoore

Hello again
The forward light is noticeably just not as bright as the backup light.  Hitting F7 results in a a very dim light forward.  When I first purchased this loco it seemed to me
that the intensity of both forward and back up lights were pretty much equal.  ???  When i dim the light in back up it is still about 2x as bright as the forward on the dim setting.
Cheers and thanks for your comments.