News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

F7-A DCC Sound Value Problem?

Started by BobZ, August 11, 2020, 08:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobZ

This unit has been operating flawlessly up until a few days ago. I'm getting a 'crackling' noise along with the normal diesel sounds. Pressing F8 eliminates all sound. Any suggestions? Any and all help appreciated.

How do I remove the speaker if that's the problem?

Thanks in advance.

rich1998

The magnet in the speaker might have picked up metal particles in the roadbed. Not the first time I have heard of this happening.
Look at the paper work that came with the loco on how to get to the speaker. There are a couple different ways depending on the loco.

Rich

BobZ

Rich1998, I removed the shell and took the speaker cover off. Everything looks ok. Two wires from the speaker go to the board which I assume contains everything. Maybe replace the entire board?? OR just run a quite diesel.

rich1998

Any particular sound associated with the buzz? Speaker secure?

Rich

BobZ

It's not a buzz. Think of how a fire sounds. The crackling type of sound. It sounds like it changes in 'speed' as the loco speed increases (i think). Could be some type of interference from the motor.  Is there a way to test a speaker? The speaker is at the rear of the chassis right on top. It has a plastic cover over it. It's tight.

I'm looking for my receipt. May just send it back to Bachmann.

rich1998

Have you checked the CV list? What are on the sound list?
I never checked the speaker location. My bad. Sorry.

Rich

BobZ

Rich, your getting above my pay grade. I'm relatively new to DCC. This was running on DC out of the box. I then switched over to DCC. The only setting that I changed was from #3 to a number I choose. There are 3 other locos running with only the number designation switched to a unique number. All locos have been running for several months with no problem. This particular diesel began with the 'noise'  yesterday. I looked on the SoundTraxx website and it gave a few possibilities for the 'crackling' noise. They even described like that. None of their suggestions appeared to be the problem except for a bad speaker. I'll keep looking. 

rich1998

Ok. Good luck.
All my steamers and diesels have been installs by me.
I never did Sound Value.
Only one Bachmann sound on board ten years ago with SoundTraxx in tender. A Spectrum large driver 4-6-0 not full sound but nice.
I use tp run DCC Power Cab.

Rich.