News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachman 9 inch power terminal insulated gap

Started by snakeload, August 11, 2020, 07:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snakeload

I am planning a layout and want to have a siding with several locomotives. Does the Bachman track with insulated gap work as a block so I can have power to the layout the the engines will not move unless i add power or do I need to do wiring as a block. How does the insulated gap work and what does it attach to.  Sorry I am new to building a layout so the question may seem dumb. 

jward

no matter what you use to insulate your track the individual blocks still have to be wired as such.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

BobZ

Using the track with insulated gap will isolate the siding. To power the siding you will need to go thru a double pole on/off switch between the power pack and the isolated siding. If you turn the track over you will see a 'circuit' board with a brass connector on each side. Loosen the screws and swing the brass connectors out thereby opening up the gap. Taking a Bachmann red wire connector from the output side of the DP switch, plug it into the 'circuit' board on the siding side of the insulated track. If you can solder it's cheaper to take a regular piece of track, cut a gap through both rails or use plastic rail joiner between 2 sections of track and solder wires to each rail running back to the DP on/off switch.

Ronald

Hello,

I bought a 2 pack of these to see what they do and after looking at them and putting them on the layout and reading this I still do not know. There are 2 power connections on each side and I did remove the 2 larger black screws to see if anything would move and nothing changed. I wish Bachmann would give a better explanation on these items on their web site and honestly a lot of time the explanations I get on here I do not understand. Have had trains for a long time but all layouts only had track and a switch or two and now I am going to fast for what I know.

Thanks in advance

jward

Years in the hobby and you never learned about block control wiring?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Ronald

Thanks for your help, why did you bother to respond?