0-6-0 switcher with cracked nylon spacers for wheels

Started by Copperline, August 16, 2020, 05:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Copperline

I'm trying to rebuild an older 0-6-0 switcher ( slope back tender) model number ( item 50601 )
On each on the axles - there is a nylon part with square holes in reach end - where the  wheels insert. The Nylon part  insulates the DC+ ( engineers side ) from DC- Fireman's side   keeping the wheels isolated.. Two of the nylon parts are only cylindrical - and the center nylon spacer also has the drive gear.. My nylon parts are cracked and the loco won't hold wheel width spacing.. If I can buy the parts - Great.. Alternate is super glue to hold the wheels onto the spacers .. any other thoughts on adhesive??...Any other thoughts.. .. Thinking of drilling and pinning too
I know I could just buy another.. but I'm a retired engineer with too much time on my hands.. Thanks John

rich1998

I am not sure how old your loco is. I gave my 0-6-0 loco away and they had pancake motors.
Did you look in the HO Parts section? I see they have can motors.

Rich

jonathan

Parts will be pretty much impossible for a loco that old I'm afraid.

Gluing the plastic to the metal is a bit of a crap shoot,,, sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I did it once, successfully, to a diesel. I spent some time washing the parts in soap, then alcohol, to get all the lubricant out. Don't know how long the glue will hold, but it's still ok after a couple years.

Wish I could offer a better solution... other than buying a newer model.

Regards,

Jonathan

Len

Wrapping the cracked area tightly with unwaxed dental floss, then coating it with superglue may hold it together. It's 50/50 whether it will hold the wheels tight enough without also glueing them in place.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

mac3751

Hello:

Might try Shapeways.com - in the miniatures section, trains, HO, they have some 3D printed gears for the old model 4-8-4, which look like they would be useful for most of the steamers Bachmann put out at one time.

I replaced a set of axle centers on the 4-8-4, and they have held up quite well.

Mike

rbturner

I have repaired many Bachmann locos using Loctite Professional strength super glue. I know of no failures.

Just be sure everything is very clean first.
Acts 2:38