Is it possible to run 2 train operation in HO on 4x4 layout?

Started by Loud1952, August 17, 2020, 09:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loud1952

I'm planning on a small 4x4 HO layout.  I know that this is the smallest space in which I can put an HO layout and was wondering if I can do 2 train operation if I use a couple of short sidings with short trains.  I'd like to run the trains separately, using the sidings to hold one train while the other one runs.  I know that I'll have to use short stock.  Can anyone tell me if it's possible and if so where I can find detailed instructions to wire it correctly?
Thanks much!

WoundedBear

What you want to do is easily accomplished in both DC or DCC. Have you chosen your power system yet?

Sid

Loud1952

Trainman203

The other thing you need to learn is that your biggest curve radius will probably be 15", and you'll have to use all curved switches.  Try to find the March 1963 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.  There was a 4'x4' HO layout called the Grey Burro Lines, almost exactly what you want to do.

And use DCC if you can.  Much better and simpler multiple engine control on something that size.

rich1998

You will need short locos and rolling stock, freight cars, passenger cars. Nothing long. The 44 ton loco might be good. I have two or the 70 ton. Small 0-6-0- switcher's with no tender might be ok.

Rich

Trainman203

I would think that any steam engine with a leading or trailing truck would not work well.  0-6-0, 0-4-0 or small diesel is it.

I wish there was something on line about the Grey Burro Line.  It was a wonderfully detailed little layout.

Loud1952

rich1998

DC locos and a DC controller not expensive.
DCC locos and controller a little more expensive, depending on source and there is a leaning curve.  Lots of info on the Internet and here on the Bachmann site.

Rich

Len

There are some ideas for 4' x 4' HO layouts towards the bottom of this page:
http://www.cke1st.com/m_train2.htm#HOscale

There are also some ideas for layouts on a 3' x 6-1/2' door.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Piyer

~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

jward

It is not only possible to do what you want, it is possible to do it in that space with 18r curves. I'd advise staying away from the 15r curves.

My layout, sadly in storage now due to my wife's health condition, was 48" x 54" which is only slightly larger than the space you're considering. In that space i was able to get a twice around, over and under loop with a couple of sidings along the way. A 24"x 72" extension provided me with space for a small yard with a turntable on the lower level, and a small town with plenty of sidings on the upper. Wiring was straightforward block control as described in any of the Atlas Model Railroad plan books.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA