News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Problem with my engine

Started by RickVS, August 25, 2020, 10:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickVS

I purchased the Freightmaster starter set a few weeks ago. One week in and the engine started hesitating and screeching at times, so I returned it. Got a new engine. One week in and this engine often just stops on the track at a few places and needs a push to keep going. This happens at slow speeds. I usually just have it creep along during the day. I've added a number of cars to the train and added track to get a figure eight. Should I just return this one as well? Are these starter set locos of poor quality? Seems like I'm doing something wrong. Thanks.

rich1998

Right now it sounds like dirty track or a little corrosion on the track. Is it steel or nickle silver track? NS is the better track. No idea what type of track comes with the set.
Maybe poor connection between each section. I have never used Bachmann track.
Try cleaning the track.

Rich

RickVS

Thanks. I did clean the nickel silver track and it seems to have fixed the problem. I'm curious how brand new track can get dirty in only 3 weeks.

rich1998

Possibly humidity. Dust. Some people run a track cleaning car almost every week. Our club use to run a homemade John Allen car regularly, HO scale.

Rich