Newbie looking for help with EZ-Track and DCC wiring

Started by EdYoungstrom, August 17, 2020, 06:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdYoungstrom

Hello! I am a new Bachmann user and purchased a DCC starter set. I have created a layout as found on the Getting Started page using the N scale "double-track mainline."

The instructions at the starter page state that none of the electric gaps are necessary when running in DCC. However, there is a short in the layout that requires one of the turnouts on the main oval to always be set to allow current into the inner oval. This prevents actually running two locomotives, one on each oval.

So my questions are:

Is there a simple way to wire this layout to allow current to both ovals at the same time?

Is there a simple guide to wiring for DCC using EZ-Track?

Thanks!
Ed
The

Maletrain

I don't have a diagram for your layout, but it sounds like it is basically two ovals, one inside the other, with turnouts providing a connection between them.  If that is the case, then you should be able to wire it so that trains can run on both ovals at the same time and trains can cross from one oval to the other.

It is not clear to me what you mean by

Quote"there is a short in the layout that requires one of the turnouts on the main oval to always be set to allow current into the inner oval. This prevents actually running two locomotives, one on each oval."

First, you should be wiring both ovals, so that trains can run on both at the same time, whether or not there are turnouts connecting the ovals.  So, I am wondering if your really mean "short" or if you should have said "no power" when the turnouts are not set up for a train to cross from the outer oval to the inner oval.  If you mean "no power", then I ask if you  wired the inner oval, directly from the controller,  just like you wired the outer loop.

But, if you really did wire both loops, and you do get a short (power cuts off everywhere when the turnouts are aligned to cross over), that suggests that you may have wired the inner and outer loops with opposite phase.  The same side of the track wiring should go to the inner rails on both ovals, and the other wire should go to the outer rail on both ovals.  If it  is not done that way, then you will get a short whenever the turnouts are aligned to cross over.

The only other possibilities are that I don't understand your layout and there is some sort of reversing loop in it, or there is some sort of problem with the power routing in one of your turnouts.

Please be more specific if you still need help.

EdYoungstrom

Maletrain,

Thank you for the reply. You are correct I should have been more precise in my language. I said "short" when I should have said "no power".

The forum will not let me paste a picture of the layout. It is at this link on the Bachmann site

https://resources.bachmanntrains.com/EZTrackPlans/html5/index.html?page=1

I understand what you were saying about wiring the internal oval. However, using the Bachmann EZ command controller there's no obvious way to wire two separate places. Is it as simple as buying a Y cord to split the output? As is the EZ command controller uses a jack and not two bare wires like I used to have so many years ago.

Thanks for your help again

Maletrain

Yes, you will have to find a way to split the track feed output from your controller. 

I don't use Bachmann track, so I don't know how the track feeder wires connect to it.  I did use a Bachmann controller for a while with Kato track, which does not use compatible connectors.  So, what I did was cut the end off the Bachmann track wire output so that I had bare wires to connect to a terminal block, and then I cut the Kato power feeder wires so that I had bare ends to connect to the terminal block to feed the various track sections.

I don't know if Bachmann has Y connectors for its track feed wires, but if it does, then you could just use one (or more) of those to get multiple feed points from the Bachmann controller output to both of your ovals.  (I could not do that with the Kato Y track feeder cords only because its connectors are not compatible with the Bachmann connectors.)

EdYoungstrom

I dug around in my old train box. I remembered I used to have an Atlas Twin switch and some wired rail connectors from the Xmas train when I used to have it blocked due to a reversing loop.

I connected them all up to the inside oval and to the EZ Track Terminal rerailer which is connected to the power pack. I used my old (and expendable if necessary!) LifeLike locomotive and it worked like a champ first time!

I then swapped the DC power pack out for the EZ Command Center, put on my two DCC locomotives and was running as I have been wanting.

Now that I know my planned layout and wiring work, I will build a table and begin the modeling.  And my wife has seen what I'm doing and says she wants to help build the scenery!

Thanks again for your help.

Ed

Maletrain

Glad I could help.

And, congratulations on picking a wife that wants to help, too.  I managed to get one of those (on the second try), and it makes this hobby really nice!

rich1998

For the OP. You need a Photo Hosting site to post Photos.
Scroll down to General Questions forum. for an explanation.
A photo is worth a thousand words.

Rich

EdYoungstrom

Yes they are.

https://resources.bachmanntrains.com/EZTrackPlans/html5/index.html?page=3

Although for some reason it won't open to page 3 and insists on page 2.