News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

R/C 4-6-0 Big Hauler.

Started by blythjunctionmike, August 18, 2020, 12:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blythjunctionmike

Hi, just after advice about my Big Hauler, purchased without the radio transmitter (49Mhz). I am new to large scale after many years doing oo/ho. It is my first loco, mainly because it is a good looking loco, is in unused condition and is a complete set apart from the transmitter. I obtained a transmitter from the US and guess what? It don't work! I've checked the circuits as far as I can and all seems to be ok but just wondering if the exact same frequency is used in all 49Mhz locos or are they sold in matched pairs? I have an end to end layout so control is necessary so wondering about my options. I've read the excellent article from Bill Canelos and wondered about upgrading the full chassis and run off track power. Will the Anniversary chassis with all metal running gear fit and has anyone done this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi blythjunctionmike

Be absolutely sure you are using "fresh" batteries in both the loco and the transmitter.  Both the bottom of the loco and the transmitter should be marked for 49 mhz.  Be sure you are turning on the transmitter first, then the loco.  If the transmitter you bought is not marked you may have received a 27 mhz one instead.  You may want to check with the seller!   They are definitely not sold in matched pairs.

ANNIE chassis: I have heard it has been done but doing it is like putting a Chevrolet body on a Cadillac chassis.  I have also been told that you will have to do some surgery as the boiler is enough different to make it difficult to mate to the chassis. The newer cab and boiler have much better detail.  I painted my RC 4-6-0's black and used them in static display, it may the way to go.    Get a complete 4-6-0 instead, but if you do be sure to get one with the version 5 chassis.

Good luck,

Bill 
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

blythjunctionmike

Hi Bill,
                Thanks for advice. Yes, checked all those things. Transmitter marked 49 MHz and all new batteries used and checked voltage. Will take your advice and buy a later model I think! I suppose it is what it is - a plastic toy that looks good. Once again thanks.

Loco Bill Canelos

They were definitely made for the toy train market, and were never robust.  They were sold in big box stores, and never in hobby shops.

You will never regret getting Annie 4-6-0's. I eventually got rid of my R/c versions. When I started I didn't know about chassis versions and so bought 4-6-0's with earlier chassis versions not realizing I was part of an experiment.  Bachamnn's heart was in the right place but in the early days BigHauler 4-6-0's  had unreliable drive trains.  They got it right with the version 5 chassis.  What ever you do, be sure to get one with a version 5 chassis.   If you buy on Evil Bay make sure there is a photo of the bottom so you can identify the version.   All Anniversary 4-6-0's do have the version 5 chassis.

I now use only Anniversary 4-6-0's, and love the detail.   I get the ones with the complex Walshearts valve gear rather than the simple Stephenson valve gear.  Love watching them run especially at crawl speeds!

I made every mistake in the book, which is the main reason I started trying to help others.

Bill

blythjunctionmike

Hi,
      Again, good advice Bill and l now know what to look for. As for the r/c loco, might just remove the drive gear and use for double heading or lugging it around with a diesel loco!
Cheers.   :)

Loco Bill Canelos

OK, Good to hear!  Have fun!

bill