News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

roundhouses

Started by OLDERTIMER, August 19, 2020, 03:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OLDERTIMER

Hi Guy's, I'm in the process of finalizing my roundhouse situation with ordering my second Kibri three stall. My problem is that i need several of their roundhouse extensions for my Bachmann connies.  The only place I've been able to find them is an outfit called Reynauld's EURO IMPORTS, INC.  Being just one of those American country hicks I've never had occasion to order anything internationally.  Have any of you had dealings with this outfit?  Thanks in advance, Paul G

Len

Reynauld's is an importer located in Illinois, so ordering from them is not ordering internationally. I haven't ordered from them in several years, but had no problems when I did.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

What kind of roundhouse has stalls too short for small engines like consolidations?

OLDERTIMER

Thank's Len, thats all I need to know.

Trainman, I don't think of the Bachmann connie as a small engine, it will barely fit on the Bachmann turntable (10") besides which I have one lonesome Athearn Genesis Mike that I know won't fit should I ever wan't to home it.  Just saying, Paul G ;D ;D ::) ::)

James in FL

QuotePosted by: Trainman203   Posted on: Today at 03:51:56 PM
Insert Quote
What kind of roundhouse has stalls too short for small engines like consolidations?

Perhaps one designed and built by Germans, in Germany, for German prototype Steam locomotives?
I don't guess that thought crossed your mind before you posted?
::) ::) ::)

Trainman203

The Bachmann consolidation would probably be thought of as a midsize engine.  Put it next to a Big Boy and see how big "big" is next to "REALLY BIGGG."

German factor, maybe, but I thought consolidations were the most common steam locomotive ever produced, dominating railroads in the golden age of 1890-1910, when a lot of roundhouses were built.  You all have to pardon me if I think of a roundhouse that can't take a consolidation as being odd.  Unless it was built in 1860.

The Atlas turntable can't take the consolidation either.  That's purely a function of being 9" long just like a piece of straight Snap Track.

Len

The Kibri roundhouse kit is based on a prototype that was on the Baden-Württemberg (BW) railway in Ottbergen Germany. Kibri also makes the extension (Item 39454) that was added to some stalls later to accomidate locomotives larger than the tank locos that were in common use in the area:

Added to the roundhouse:

Len

Trainman203

Ok, tank engines, that explains it.

ebtnut

Trainman - Yes, the 2-8-0 was the most common wheel arrangement in the U.S.  but my observations on overseas railroads seem to indicate that the wheel arrangement was not as popular over there.  As noted in this thread, tank engines seem to have been quite common even for main line work back in early 20th century.

Len

This is a Marklin model of the BW Class T5 2-6-2T loco, the most common tank loco on the BW. 96 were built between 1910 - 1917:

The largest tank loco operated on the BW was the Prussian Class 14.1 2-8-2T, with 39 built between 1921 - 1922:

There were also tender locomotives with service facilitites at other locations.

Len

Trainman203

Mainline tank engines didn't catch on in North America.  Water tanks adjacent to boilers warmed the water and insulated the boilers, building in some efficiencies, I wonder why that logic wasn't followed.

Len

Distances between towns and cities, especially once you hit the midwest, are generally longer than withing European countries. Using a tender for fuel and water allowed for spacing service facilities further apart than was typical in Europe. Which is why I think in the US tank engines tended to be used more around industrial and dock areas where the spacing of service facilities wasn't as much of an issue.

Len

OLDERTIMER

Great thinking Len, that makes all kinds of sense.  Well I struck out on the extensions, twice.  Everything seemed to be going great till I got to checkout and then my password or the amount were not right and by the time I got it squared away the items were gone.  I'll just have to park the Bachmann connies  on garden tracks outside.  Onward and upward,  P'  :-[ :-\ 8)

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

OLDERTIMER

Thank's Terry, I think that did it.  God bless You!  P' :) :) :D