Can a bachmann locomotive shell be swapped with another shell

Started by Ralph S, August 19, 2020, 05:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph S

I have a simple question, I am converting my rail system from DC to DCC.  I've purchased the DCC locomotive Bachmann model, but the price was right on this new model DCC locomotive.  I do not want it's shell, a Santa Fe shell.  Is it possible that the shell from my DC locomotive (BNSF) replace the shell of the DCC locomotive?  Both locomotives are the same GP 38, and both were made by Bachmann.  In short, only a shell swap from DC to DCC.  Would there be any interferences with DCC body with a DC shell?

Trainman203

Ralph S

You stole my expectation.  I haven't received the DCC locomotive yet.  Amazon indicated that it should be here tomorrow.  I will exactly try  it like you stated to see if there are any interferences.

I thought If I asked the question on this forum, that someone had already had experience with swapping DC shells with DCC shells.  Again. I hope the shells are exactly the same.  I've seen where some DCC locomotives have a opening on the top of the shell case to get to the control module. 

bnoem1

I've recently swapped ConCor PA shells with new Kato PA units.  The only thing to do was file down some of the corners at the front of the A units.  Perfect fit and easy DCC conversion.  Bachmann to Bachmann should be just as easy if not easier.

jward

It should be noted there is no such thing as a DC or DCC shell. What you have are two GP3802s, one with DCC, one without. That would mean the presence or absence of a decoder, thus the circuit boards are different. Everything else should be the same.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Ralph S

If I understand you correctly, the chassis of the DC model and the chassis of the DCC model are the same.  The DCC controller doesn't take anymore space on the chassis as the DC model?   If that's the case, then I should be able to move to replace my EMD F3A shell with the GP38 shell also.   The EMD has the rounded face, and the GP is well... square.

Maletrain

Quote from: jward on August 20, 2020, 11:02:15 AM
It should be noted there is no such thing as a DC or DCC shell. What you have are two GP3802s, one with DCC, one without. That would mean the presence or absence of a decoder, thus the circuit boards are different. Everything else should be the same.

Well, jward, that is certainly not always true.  If the model was issued first with DC and then much later issued with DCC, there may or may not be some differences between the old and new model frames as well as other features.  Some frames were completely redesigned to make them DCC compatible.  So, if buying used equipment, or wanting to buy new equipment to interchange parts with equipment bought many years ago, it is smart to ask this question.

But, it requires either the Bach Man or somebody with the same 2 locos to accurately answer that question. That doesn't always happen.

So, at this point, you will just get to try it for yourself.  When you find the answer, it might help somebody else if you post that here.

Ralph S, you probably cannot put a GP38 shell on an F3A frame, because the internal volumes are different.  At least in smaller scales like N and HO, the available internal space is usually filled with metal to add weight to incresae pulling power.  So, the narrow GP shell would not fit over the wide F3 frame and weights, at least in small scales.

Ralph S

Mr. Maletrain,  You burst my bubble.  I Was really hoping that I could swap out the my approx. 5 year old EMD F3A with the GP, cause then I would have my entire line representative of BNSF.  But as a side note, I will still try to swap both and see what comes of it.  I'll have to wait till tomorrow when my first DCC locomotive shows up, and then my question and anyone else that's curious to find out by physical fit.   

By the way, Thank you all for responding so quickly, I didn't expect to find any responses before my DCC locomotive shows up at my front door.

Terry Toenges

This is what you get when you put an F7 body on an F40PH frame.  :)

Feel like a Mogul.