News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Throttles for a newbie.

Started by ICEman, August 20, 2020, 02:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ICEman

Just starting my first HO layout which is 10' x 8'  @ 75 feet of track. Looking at tethered throttles. I like the Digitrax 602 which is much improved over the 400 & 500's. But, it appears it comes with more accessories ( power supply, etc.) & a $150 jump in price then what I need for a two train layout.
Any help for a newbie will be appreciated.

Trainman203

We try to limit conversation to Bachmann products.

But I've used NCE wireless procab for 12 years now, no problems, great customer service.  I own a throttle by the competition for use at a club and in comparison it is arcane in its complexity.

rich1998

I have used a NCE Power Cab  for HO. I tried the Digitrax first at a local shop. Both systems have their own forums called Groups.
Bachmann was much to limited like my  first DCC controller, a MRC2K I think.

Rich

ICEman

I apologize for discussing a manufacturer other than Bachmann, I knew better, just forgot.

Trainman203

That's ok, no prob. Have to sometimes.

rich1998

Quote from: ICEman on August 20, 2020, 03:23:22 PM
I apologize for discussing a manufacturer other than Bachmann, I knew better, just forgot.

I PM'd you.

Rich

WoundedBear

MRC Prodigy Advanced Squared for me.

Sid

graywolf

I don't understand the logic of all the replies to Iceman. He mentions a Digitrax product and gets dissed for not talking Bachmann. Then all the following replies talk about other than Bachmann products. Seems like a double standard. BTW I use NCE wireless Procab and love it. Ha

prr22

Gray wolf exactly. I sent a pm to him because I don't want to get involved.
Modeling the rolling hills from Baltimore to Pittsburg

Irbricksceo

Quote from: graywolf on August 21, 2020, 07:53:41 AM
I don't understand the logic of all the replies to Iceman. He mentions a Digitrax product and gets dissed for not talking Bachmann. Then all the following replies talk about other than Bachmann products. Seems like a double standard. BTW I use NCE wireless Procaband love it. Ha

I think its because since we're on a platform hosted by Bachmann, people dont want to be impolite and essential recommend NOT buying a bachmann product.

Its understandable IMO. And for what its worth, I Love my NCE Powercab. I had to replace it because the controller portion was lost during some shuffling about some years ago, but was happy to do so. I did have an EZ command as my first unit, but not only was it quite simple in features, it burned out after like 3 months. Though Bachmann did replace it for me for free.
Modeling NYC in N

jward

Just wondering why tethered throttles? There are plenty of wireless DCC throttles out there. A tethered cord is going to be a pain to deal with. Is the price difference between tethered and wireless that great?

BTW, DIgitrax Zephyr user here. Never regretted my decision. My original unit is now almost 16 years old and still operable.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rich1998

I am surprised the Bach-Man has not said anything so far.

Rich

Len

Quote from: rich1998 on August 21, 2020, 11:53:05 AM
I am surprised the Bach-Man has not said anything so far.

Rich

Because of the limitations of the EZ-Command system, I think a bit of tolerance is allowed when discussing other systems for addressing those limiitations.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
EZ Command is a great, very affordable beginners' system, but
you will need a more advanced system to fully realize the potential of DCC.
My advice is always to choose the system sold by shops in your area, and used
by local clubs.  Sooner or later you'll mess something up, and there will be
a support group to help you out.
Have fun, be safe, and
Enjoy your trains!
the Bach-man