News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

servicing older DC 4-8-4 J Class

Started by cap33444, August 23, 2020, 05:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cap33444

I just came into possession of a couple of older (DC only w/ smoker units) NORFOLK & WESTERN J Class 4-6-4 #608 and #611.  I have a sheet with a blowout of the parts, but they both need to be serviced – the #608 runs haltingly.    Usually youtube is a great place to find help on tearing down a machine, but I see nothing on these 4-6-4's.

Is there a sheet that shows how to pull the unit apart?  It looks like to me that to get to the gears and clean things (and lubricate) I may need to split the chassis (something I hear is not a fun exercise). I've removed the shell, but don't see any place where the bottom plastic chassis is affixed to the split.  The two small screws directly under the driver, which I removed, did nothing (nothing obvious to me).

I would appreciate anything you can share as I'm anxious to get these two cousins on the track and pulling some cars.

rich1998

I believe you will find the sheet at HO Seeker.

https://hoseeker.org/bachmann.html

I have taken a apart a split chassis loco. Take your time and document. Take photos. Track parts. Move slowly separating loco haves. Parts can fly.
In addition, each frame half will be connected somehow to each motor brush. Watch how the connection is made. You might get it all together and find it does not run because of a missed connection. The PDF should show you everything. It did for me.
Someone here might give you step by step instructions. Hand holding is not always possible. This is model railroading where you learn by experience.

If you need to post a photo you will need a photo hosting site.
Good luck.

Rich

cap33444

Thanks,  DUH,  HOSEEKER, of course... why didn't I think of that...  The #608 is now dead in the water (actually on the rails).  I guess the good news is that it can serve as a guide for the 611.  I've done that before with some diesel Loco's I've experimented with.  Good point on pix,  I have done that in the past, but its a good reminder - take many and often.

rich1998

I remember reading a few years ago in another forum about Shapeways making axle repair kits for older Bachmann 4-8-4's. That is why I suggested Shapeways. One person said they worked.
The pancake motors are noisy, all metal gears but work. Mine did but pickups lousy. I had to improve them to run DCC. I was bored and retired at the time, maybe ten years ago. Still retired. lol.

Rich

cap33444

retired is good (4.5 years for me).  I will be ripping this apart as its now dead, so nothing much to lose!

I see this one... maybe there's other options for the 4-6-4
https://www.shapeways.com/product/PJUUQ9266/replacement-for-bachmann-ho-4-8-4-axle-centers

Thanks again

TheDave

Quote from: rich1998 on August 24, 2020, 01:17:06 PMI remember reading a few years ago in another forum about Shapeways making axle repair kits for older Bachmann 4-8-4's. That is why I suggested Shapeways. One person said they worked.
The pancake motors are noisy, all metal gears but work. Mine did but pickups lousy. I had to improve them to run DCC. I was bored and retired at the time, maybe ten years ago. Still retired. lol.

Rich

I'm trying to do a repair for a customer and bought the Shapeways replacement gear and when trying to install it, it just shattered. Not very happy, and I'm running out of options...