News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-6-0 Mogul 81494

Started by blythjunctionmike, August 26, 2020, 02:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blythjunctionmike

Hi, once again in need of advice ( might be able to give some myself some day!) Got the chance of a Spectrum 2-6-0 Mogul for the equivalent of just over 200 dollars (looks mint) but motor runs without any movement. Retailer suggests may be split gears and just wondering if for the price it may be a good deal. If so what are chances it will be split gears, how difficult is the repair and where to source replacement. As usual any advice really appreciated as I can't make my mind up!
Cheers.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Again,

Here is a link to the axle gear replacement for your Mogul:

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,19904.0.html

I have never be able to link the pictures to the text.

Ebay says the average selling price for these  is $298.

Only you can decide!!

Hope this helps.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

blythjunctionmike

Thanks Loco Bill, I think I will just go for it as it is a nice looking loco.
Cheers.

Fred2179

Quote from: Loco Bill Canelos on August 26, 2020, 05:16:29 PM
Hi Again,
Here is a link to the axle gear replacement for your Mogul:
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,19904.0.html
I have never be able to link the pictures to the text.
Ebay says the average selling price for these  is $298.
Only you can decide!!
Hope this helps.

Loco Bill

Bill, your "axle gear replacement" thread says

QuoteYou will need a Northwest Shortline Brand Gear part No.  2223-6 for the Fn3 Bachmann 4-4-0, 24 tooth. This same gear works for the 2-6-0.  The cost is only about $12 not including shipping.  If you send your loco to Bachmann or buy the Bachmann replacements parts you will only be setting yourself up for the same problem probably sooner rather than later.  So get the gear ordered from NWSL.  If Bachmann Industries introduces an upgraded gear I will let you know.

There is a new, upgraded replacement gear available:
https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_145&products_id=4833

Note that it is now fitted on the axle with a flat ("D" shaped axle) and the NWSL part will NOT fit these axles.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Fred, 

I wrote that 8 years ago and the thread is locked so I can't change it.  I tried to get Bachmann to open it up when the new Bachmann axle and gear became available so I could make changes, but they didn't and I eventually forgot about it.  The gear recommended did work on the 4-6-0 even with the 24 teeth, but I never did try the 24 tooth gear on the 4-4-0 since mine is still going great.  Also the 24 tooth gear is the one recommended by NWSL apparently in error.   But since then 4-4-0's have been found to have a 25 tooth gear, not 24.

So what is the deal,  I have since learned that NWSL has a 25 tooth gear which is #2226-6.  It comes with an axle designed to press on The gear and lockand lockNWSL says it is for the 2-8-0.  While I have not installed one on any of my locomotives other than my 2-8-0  others have installed it successfully in the 4-4-0.   I can say that the NWSL delrin gears are high quality and none of mine have ever failed.  Point being, the NWSL gears work fine and are trouble free so far.   But..........

Having said that, the redesign of the Bachmann replacement axle seems to really do the trick and avoids ordinary stress of the old style gear which eventually cracks especially with age.  The NWSL gears have worked fine for me.

So I now say go with the Bachmann axle and gear, it is even cheaper than the NWSL axle and gear.  There is much wrong about that FAQ and I am frustrated by being unable to do an Update. Thanks Fred for the link to the new axle!!!

I apologize to all for any inconvenience.  I have once again asked Bachmann if they will unlock that FAQ so I can fix it.  I asked a few days ago and so far it has not been unlocked. 

Loco Bill

Until that happens I can do nothing to change it and it does make me look bad.  I do want forum members to be confident in what I advise, and this hurts my reputation.  I hope others who view this thread will be better advised. 

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, as others have also. :-[ :'(

Bill

Fred2179

Well, let's hope they unlock it.

BTW, I did my first replacement a few years ago with the 25 tooth NWSL gear. My second loco stopped so I ordered a new gear (the new type ) and took it apart. It already had this new gear (I call it the D-type, to distinguish it from the old ones that split on the splined axles,) so presumably someone had fixed it before me. It stopped due to a dual gear fed by the worm, which Jiro made for me. There's a thread about it here somewhere; I think the title says 'a different gear problem' or similar.

Loco Bill Canelos

Thanks to the Bach-man himself the post was unlocked.   I have since updated the entire post.

Special thanks also to Fred, for reminding me about the old incorrect info.  Also Thanks to Kevin Strong and others who pointed out the correct axle and errors on NWSL.com concerning them.

As always, Thanks members your patience and understanding while I fixed the problem.  Let me know if any of you have problems with the post and I will do my best to correct them.

Bill

rallinen

??? I to have the Spectrum 2-6-0 Mogul. Great running locomotive. Have now i need parts. The trucks on the tender are breaking apart. Tried gluing but it will not hold. Just need a pair of new trucks, complete less wheels.

any thoughts on where I might be able to find them since Backmann doesn't even list them.

Thanks for any help. Right now the locomotive has been assigned to a shelf. Would like to get it back to running.

Fred2179

Never heard of the trucks failing. You know about the screw behind the spring box? Just undo the tiny screw on top and the spring box comes out.
The trucks are fairly ordinary archbars, except for the fancy wheels and pickups. I would try to fit the wheels in some new trucks and then move the axle wiper pickups over to the new truck.

rallinen

I removed the wiper a while back. I run battery so not needed. Have not figure out how to post pictures. I need to resize the file.

Fred2179

Quote from: rallinen on October 27, 2020, 04:45:26 PM
I removed the wiper a while back. I run battery so not needed. Have not figure out how to post pictures. I need to resize the file.
Take a look at this thread:
https://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/30729/bachmann-spectrum-4-4-0-2-6-0-tender-truck-fix

Still curious where you are getting problems.

P.S. The trucks are in the Parts store:
https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_709&products_id=11364&zenid=kk95ilhvg37r9c2prpb8hhpba1
And just to confuse things, a complete chassis (according to the photo) including 2 trucks, a pcb with switches, and a speaker, is $69.50, whereas a truck is $49.50. Go figure. Ah - and the same trucks for the 4-4-0 is $27.10 (sold out) or $33.10 with coupler.