News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Layout Help

Started by Ronald, August 27, 2020, 08:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald

Hello,

I am starting an HO layout on an 8' x 8' space and need some help or input. I am using Bachmann EZ Track and have 35.5 Radius x 20 on the outside with 2 9" straight tracks between each 5 pieces. I have the same thing inside using 33.25 radius and can't figure out how to connect the two lines. Didn't really think it out and thought I would be able to use turnouts and that obviously didn't work. I was going to order 2 #6 crossovers but after looking the 2 straight tracks do not match up so that will not work. Any ideas? I have never used any of the track software and was overwhelmed trying Any Rail? I plan on doing the same down to 28 26  22 and 18 radius so any ideas suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

jonathan

Ron,

Crossing over does not have to involve "crossover" turnouts. And you can use other manufacturers' turnouts with EZ track. Just need to add some roadbed and a little card stock to align them.

I don't have any turnouts leftover from my layout construction to show some different configurations. However, you just need to get a bit creative. Perhaps a curve turnout can create a crossover onto a straightforward turnout.

Sounds like your layout won't have much for straightaways. Our club layout was like that, and we used curved turnouts all over the place.

Regards,

Jonathan

Ronald

Thanks to both for the replies and the book suggestion, I will be sure to order.

I did figure out this morning that if I add a 1" piece on the 2 sides I use the crossovers and a 1" and 3  1/4" on the other sides it should work being the tracks are exactly 1" off and the crossover will add 3 1/4". I will basically change from 89"x 89" to 93.25" x 93.25". Only concern is at the four straight parts I am leaving basically no room for error if a derailment. I will have to build something to protect against that, a wall or some netting. I will also have to use the other straight parts going in from 33.25 to 28 but I should have a little extra room, that is why I will go to 93.25 all aroung.

Does that make sense to anyone other than me?