News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

FT Diesel Slows Down and Stops and Goes

Started by plint, September 05, 2020, 01:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plint

Just got this older DCC FT diesel.  It will run and then stop with a grinding noise and then go when the throttle is moved up or down and continue nicely and then stop and go again.  Track and wheels are clean.   Anybody else have this?  Any ideas?
Thanks
By the grace of God go I in Amherst NH.

rich1998

Did you try a decoder reset?
Is the noise from the front or rear truck or speaker?
The only Bachmann diesels I have with sound are the 44 ton and 70 ton. The other big ones are not Bachmann.

Rich

plint

Thanks, Rich.  I'll try a reset.  Just DCC, no sound.  It's better since I lubed the trucks.  Gotta get the shell off now to lube the motor.  Doesn't seem so easy to remove the shell with the coupler pockets instead of the screw on couplers.

rich1998

Good troubleshooting. Bachmann does make the diesels different on removing the shells. I have seen the question a number of times here.

Rich

plint

It runs ok now with my Digitrax Zephyr.

Any tricks for removing the 4 screws??  I've tried 4 different screw drivers and they won't budge.  Don't want to strip the heads. :(

rich1998

To my knowledge they should be Phillips head screw. I bought a jewelers set of them some years ago. They show up in almost everything. I use a bit of tooth paste to keep the tip from slipping. The tooth paste provides a little grip.

Rich

Len

I use a Wiha #1 Philips screwdriver for those shell screws. The Wiha brand is a little pricer than the typical 'jewlers' screw driver set, but I find they fit and grip a lot better. Micro-Mark carries a 7-piece set: https://www.micromark.com/7-piece-Precision-Screwdriver-Set-with-Stand_2

I've had mine for over 20 years, 14 in my train repair shop, and their still in the same condition as the day I purchased them.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

plint

Tried the toothpaste trick but no go.   They are phillips and really stuck.  I have 3 good jeweler size screwdrivers and just no go.  Maybe I'll let some WD40 sit on them for a while.

rich1998

WD-40 is a good idea.
You might try putting the loco in the freezer for twenty for hours.

Rich

plint

Thanks, Rich and Len.
I'm going to try some Screw Grab today

rich1998

I am surprised the screws are that difficult to remove. I hope a previous owner did not use a thread fastener.

Rich

plint

Yeah, me too. I never liked phillips head for this reason.  When they are put on too tight it's a potential mess.  So here I am!