News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Guidance on a Battery

Started by prr22, August 31, 2020, 10:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prr22

I am a diehard HO-scaler, but I'm building a 12' loop around a tree in my yard, battery power.  Can someone please point me towards a battery that will last a while on a small loco?  I'm putting all electronics in a trailing car.
Modeling the rolling hills from Baltimore to Pittsburg

Hunt

11.1Volt 850ma Lithium Polymer Battery

prr22

Thanks, how long does that last?
Modeling the rolling hills from Baltimore to Pittsburg

Loco Bill Canelos

HI prr22,

It is always tough to predict how long a battery will last especially when used in a variable load situation.  Then there is the issue of how long a battery will last until is totally fails.  Again use levels and charging variances including heat and cold play a part.   Running a train at higher speeds will deplete a battery faster than one operated at slower speeds.

Most high quality Lithium type batteries are reasonably long living some I have are over 15 years old and still going strong.   As for the running time issue, a train with 20 cars will lower the operating time over one with only five or ten cars.  Then there is the question of grades.  If you have grades everything changes.  If a layout is flat running time will be longer that one with several grades of varying degree.  Also Batteries with  higher densities will run longer than one of lower density so a battery with 850ma will last longer that one with 500ma. 

Predictions are not possible because of these issues.

Hunts suggestion seems like a good starting point.  Give it a try and see how it works for you.  Sounds like a fun project to me!!!

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!