News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Warranty repair

Started by murfling, February 18, 2007, 11:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

murfling

How long does it usually take the Bachmann Shop to do a waranty repair? I sent my Class J #603 to them, and according to tracking info, they've had it since Jan 29th.  I was just wondering if I should expect it back this year or next?\Thanx
Jonathan

SteamGene

This year.  They can be slow and this is their busy time of the year with all the Christmas mistakes showing up.  It's actually only been abou three weeks.  If you really need to, callthem on the commercial, not the 800 number. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

eric

Jonathan,

If you look in General Discussion and in Large for a topic "Question from a New Guy" by Tfowen, there are several responses to essentially the same question you asked. 

Hope this helps.

Eric Root

tom11

Jan 29th- BOY are you new to Bachmann !!!
LAST YEAR THEY REPLACED MY ENGINE-
I waited 6 months and got it in July !

Be prepared to wait- their service stinks

but they have a good warranty.

cary

Tom11:
I have to say something after reading your posts, nearly everyone negative in some manner regarding Bachmann service. Let me begin with and assure you that I do not work for Bachmann, nor have any connection with them except as a consumer of their products. I have purchased over 40 locomotives and hundreds of pieces of rolling stock during the last 4 years from Bachmann: Diesels, Steamers and Thomas products. Needless to say there have been a few bumps and bruises throughout that time so I have returned engines for warranty replacement, repair and the like in 2 scales HO and N. I have also sent many queries via e-mail regarding parts, had several phone conversations with the service department (via the 800 number at work even!) including the former manager, the current manager Bridget, her assistant Ginny and two of the techs including Vitaliy, and received calls from them as well. Additionally, every e-mail I have submitted was answered, normally within a day or two. I have never had an experience like you describe. The longest turn around time I have ever had was 6 weeks which was at the height of the repair season slightly after Christmas in 2004. In every single instance their service department has done right by me. I have a couple of stories that I won’t tell in which the service department personnel went above and beyond â€" mainly because I am sure the folks at the corporate office would cringe! Anyway I can only hope that your future experiences will parallel mine â€"
Best regards,
Cary

tom11

CARY-
2 weeks ago ,
I called the national sales office. Got the automated telephone system - dialed 1 for service - got nothing but a telephone ringing for a minute- dialed the operator- asked to speak to Bridget- left message on her machine- to date , 2 weeks later - no return call  from Brdiget.

Enquired right after via the e-mail system as to the status of the repair of my engine sent to BACHMANN IN  December- to date - no response.

THEN I CALLED THE 800 NUMBER FOR SERVICE - LEFT MESSAGE ON ANSWERING MACHINE- TO DATE NO RESPONSE.

Is there another Bachmann company - you are talking about??

Curmudgeon

Possibly there is a list of folks who buy 40 engines and hundreds of pieces of rolling stock, and they get quick responses?

Maybe another of folks who complain on-line and they never get a response?

Who knows.

Hoople

Quote from: tom11 on February 18, 2007, 09:14:25 PM
CARY-
2 weeks ago ,
I called the national sales office. Got the automated telephone system - dialed 1 for service - got nothing but a telephone ringing for a minute- dialed the operator- asked to speak to Bridget- left message on her machine- to date , 2 weeks later - no return call  from Brdiget.

Enquired right after via the e-mail system as to the status of the repair of my engine sent to BACHMANN IN  December- to date - no response.

THEN I CALLED THE 800 NUMBER FOR SERVICE - LEFT MESSAGE ON ANSWERING MACHINE- TO DATE NO RESPONSE.

Is there another Bachmann company - you are talking about??

Patience is a virtue.

I sent my 4-8-2 in and it came back 3 months later, and it worked like a charm.
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

murfling

Thank you all for the input. I too have had haphazzard replies to emails and such, but of the 19 Bachmann powered locomotives I own, this was the only problem I have had, so I have have never had to deal with their service department. I was just wondering how long it would take. If there are people out there still waiting for something they sent in December,, then I know mine will be behind there's. Maybe they'll hire some more tech's.
Jonathan

the Bach-man

Dear Jonathan,
Call the 215 number on Tuesday and ask for our service manager. She will give you an estimate on your repair time.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

murfling

I finally got a holf of Bridget.
I still have another 6 to 8 weeks to wait.
Oh well.
Such as life.
Thank you all for the input.
Jonathan

terry

Quote from: tom11 on February 18, 2007, 06:34:49 PM
Jan 29th- BOY are you new to Bachmann !!!
LAST YEAR THEY REPLACED MY ENGINE-
I waited 6 months and got it in July !

Be prepared to wait- their service stinks

but they have a good warranty.

Jonathan--
Looks like Tom11  was right on again!!!

tom11

Quote from: cary on February 18, 2007, 08:26:57 PM
The longest turn around time I have ever had was 6 weeks which was at the height of the repair season slightly after Christmas in 2004.

According to Murfling

His engine has been in repair since Jan 29- It is now MARCH 1-

WE NOW ADD 8 WEEKS and the Bachmann turnaround is......... 3 months

Cary- I guess your comment about my posts was in error and I accept your apology.

Ken Schei

I returned my On30 shay for repair on January 13, 2007.  I did not get a reply from them until February 22, six weeks later.  At that time, they said there was at least a six week backlog, which will add up to at least 12 weeks before I get anything back, if all goes well.

Cheers, Ken

cary

Quote from: tom11 on March 01, 2007, 09:48:44 AM
Quote from: cary on February 18, 2007, 08:26:57 PM
The longest turn around time I have ever had was 6 weeks which was at the height of the repair season slightly after Christmas in 2004.

According to Murfling

His engine has been in repair since Jan 29- It is now MARCH 1-

WE NOW ADD 8 WEEKS and the Bachmann turnaround is......... 3 months

Cary- I guess your comment about my posts was in error and I accept your apology.

You have no apolgy to accept - My comments about your posts still stand, they are all negative, what I am sorry for is that you have had such poor luck or bad experince with customer service  - I guess that I am just the lucky one because every time I have sent anything to Bachmann (I send them UPS directly to one of the customer service reps, so annotated on the package) I have received my repaired or replacement item in less than a month...
Regards,
cary  :)