Can two (2) EZ Command Controllers Work Together?

Started by Ralph S, September 06, 2020, 05:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph S

Here is the scenario:  Two kids wanting to run their own trains.
Problem:  I read the last discussion (2013) and its reply stated to obtain the Walk around companion controller (Model 44907), then I read that the Walk around companion module was discontinued (2016).
Question:  The last discussion didn't go into detail so I'm presenting that detail.  If I connect two EZ command control centers (Model 44901):  One as the main connection to the track and power supply, then connect the other command control center without connecting the power or connection to the track can this support operating two trains where each kid can control their own train from each control center?  Basically providing an individual controller similar to the walk-around companion which currently I can't seem to find.

jward

No. you can't use two EZ Command controllers. You'll have to rind either a walkaround companion, or some other way to do this. You've run up against one of the many limitations of this very basic system.

You might want to do some basic research into other DCC systems comparable in cost to the EZ Command. For maybe $25 more than it lists for you could have gotten a system That is not only upgradable with extra throttles, but could also use two of your old DC controllers as additional throttles. And that seems like just what you're trying to do here. I am not giving details on which system it is to keep on the good side of the powers that be.

If you want to use all Bachmann products, have you looked into EZ App? It uses a cell phone or tablet as a controller, communications with the train via Bluetooth. It will run as an overlay to your DCC system, using the DCC for power only. You use an app you download to control any locomotives equipped with EZ App boards. 
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Ralph S

You've just made this a challenge.  I'd like to reverse engineer one of the DCC controllers, but to make it easier, it would be nice if you or someone has the schematics of the EZ Controller Model 44908.   So I can modify the controller to work as a walk-around companion.  I don't think the Bachmann Co. would freely give up their schematics to either controller.  They may look that as proprietary.   Having the program language would be a plus but not necessary.

rich1998

I doubt it. I have been in these forums for some time and I know I have never seen the schematics.
They are company private for a reason.

Rich

Ralph S

I believe your doubts are correct.  I'm gonna try asking anyway.

In addition, so far everything I've read, leaves me to believe that the Bachmann control is the simplest of all the DCC controllers.    The fact that Bachmann had a product that would support two controllers is exceptional.   The other manufacturers may have the ability to support additional controllers, but their expense is most likely outside the Bachmann market where the consumers are mostly younger less mature modelers.  Bachmann seems to be in the younger less mature market.  Their simple controller should be a much easier less expensive way to bring two or more controllers to those in the intermediate range (that's where I am at the moment).   

I am surprised that the older mature modelers haven't notice that the Bachmann controllers could upscale those more expensive controllers.   I also believe that Bachmann is missing a great opportunity to market to us intermediate range modelers.

PS.  Thanks for the post on Model Railroader

rich1998

It was a starter set Their first into DCC from what I know. You cannot modify CV's or reset a decoder.
The Bach-Man would never allow schematics posted here.

I had an MRC Command 2000 with three throttles on the panel and two throttles on a lanyard with a one amp limit like the EZ Command. You might find it on Ebay.
Throttle one for DCC or a DC loco.
It was a starter set that I gave away and bought the NCE Power Cab and the Cab 06 for a second throttle which I never needed.

Rich

Trainman203

It's almost like buying a bow if you play violin .  The bow is much more critical to the overall sound of the violin , possibly more important than the violin itself.  So goes it with these trains.  A cheap controller  will only do so much, when for only a few paltry scheckels more you can evolve into the stratosphere.

jward

Quote from: Ralph S on September 08, 2020, 12:29:44 PM
I believe your doubts are correct.  I'm gonna try asking anyway.

In addition, so far everything I've read, leaves me to believe that the Bachmann control is the simplest of all the DCC controllers.    The fact that Bachmann had a product that would support two controllers is exceptional.   The other manufacturers may have the ability to support additional controllers, but their expense is most likely outside the Bachmann market where the consumers are mostly younger less mature modelers.  Bachmann seems to be in the younger less mature market.  Their simple controller should be a much easier less expensive way to bring two or more controllers to those in the intermediate range (that's where I am at the moment).  

I am surprised that the older mature modelers haven't notice that the Bachmann controllers could upscale those more expensive controllers.   I also believe that Bachmann is missing a great opportunity to market to us intermediate range modelers.

PS.  Thanks for the post on Model Railroader

You are making some unsubstantiated assumptions about the cost benefits of the basic EZ Command. It is slightly less expensive than the entry level systems of others. For what it lists for, an additional $25-30 will get you a system that will do exactly what you are looking to do. Sad to say, EZ Command is a dead end system. What you start with is what you get. WHen you outgrow its capabilities you have to start over with another system. There is no upgrade path. That is not true of those other systems. I wish Bachmann had engineered EZ Command in such a way as to be usable with their Dynamis system but they did not. You can spend all your time or energy trying to reverse engineer this system, voiding any warranty, with no guarantee of success. And even if you DID find a way to turn a second EZ Command into an additional throttle, the system's inherent limitations would still be there. And for the expense, time and frustration you will undoubtedly incur, I fail to see the benefit of beating a dead horse when you could have instead used the money to get something better.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Ralph S

Interesting!
I had to really think about what you indicated about the other systems only being a modest additional cost and the fact that EZ command is a obsolete system, with no upgrade path.   From this point in my modeling (Remember I'm only an intermediate type modeler, and probably only for the kids) moving toward a more detailed system, Dynamis being one of them, I have determined that moving toward the more involved train controlling systems which is somewhat more involved, would definitely decrease my kids interest.  Also note that my kids are still bombarded with Playstation, Xbox, etc. As for me, reverse engineering is kinda what I do for a living.  That's because the Power Industry, electric utilities are running into the same issue, old equipment that manufacturers do not support, equipment thats more than 20 years old, but the equipment is still highly reliable.  The utility will invest in and reverse engineer obsolete power components.  Sorry got of the subject.  My kids and me too, like this EZ command, watching videos (U-tube) on the other systems seems a bit cumbersome, larger controller, or smaller controller with lots of buttons, which means lots of options, which means more experience needed, or longer learning curve.  The EZ command not so much.  Lastly, watching my kids play with this EZ command and if they continue being interested in models trains, I'll gladly waste my time trying to reverse engineer the controller, probably do to others things.  If the kids loose interest, maybe the trains will find themselves on E-bay.
Thanks for making me thing about this, only the kids will make the final determination.

rhwalker

With the BlueRailTrains app, I have worked out a procedure which allows two separate smart devices to independently control two BlueRail equipped engines at the same time. Am not sure if this would work with EZ-APP.

Ralph S

Okay, could you clue me in on Smart Devices?  From what I recall smart devices are on phones, the App is downloaded to a phone.  Please tell me that there are smart devices and Apps that do not involve being attached to a phone system!  I'm all eyes (Ears are for hearing), eyes are for reading your response.

jward

Smart devices in this case would be a bluetooth equipped device like a phone or tablet. You would need to install the EZ App app to the device you are going to use. After that, you wouldn't need to connect to a phone system or the net to run your locomotives. In all honesty, if you used a tablet, you could use your phone as a hotspot for the tablet to connect to the net for the purposes of installing the app. That's how i connect to the net on my laptop.

Once the app is installed, it will discover any EZ App equipped locomotives. It's similar to using your phone to connect to a Bluetooth speaker, or to your car's stereo system.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rich1998

Just to add a little, my iPhone has an option to become a hot spot if our Internet provider goes out. I can use my PC and stepson can use his iPad to connect to the Internet.
My hearing aids have Bluetooth and connect to the iPhone.

Rich