News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC conttrol center reset

Started by MitchE, September 26, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MitchE

Hi all
Have a Thunder Chief DCC set. The motion stopped working but all lights and sound work. I know it's not the train.
How you ask?
Also have a Echo Valley Express Train Set that we are returning because of the horrible design flaw with the harness. Lasted about a week before the wires came loose.
So i tries the Control center from that unit and the Chief runs fine.
Is there a way to reset the CC?
I did change from address 3 to 1 and 2. Both times the train responded with back and forth but would not move after that?

Thanks

rich1998

What DCC system do you use?
CV8, enter 8, cycle track power  and after about four seconds the headlight should flash sixteen seconds and the loco run on address three.
If you have the EZ Command, you cannot reset. Right in the manual.

It is common knowledge the #30 wires and connections on the steamers cannot take rough handling. I have had those steamers for some years.

Rich

MitchE

Rich
It is the EZ so answers that. Still curious what may have died in it.

Common knowledge only works if your a frequent, not new to DCC user. I would think if it's that known Bachmann would have tried to make an updated version.

Mitch

rich1998

They made the Dynamis. Pricey though.

Bachmann sells the connectors and cables for the steamers but they do not use NMRA colors for the wires. Look in Parts. I have worked with electrical for many years so I knew right away the steamers needed to be easily handled.

Do a search for DCC controller comparisons if you need a better controller, You can check ebay when you find a system you like also.
I used the NCE Power Cab at one time. Two amps.

Rich

Gary Allen

Mine did exactly the same thing.  Sounds worked fine but train would make no effort to move.  The problem was that the plug (from the tender) at the locomotive was loose.  Used a small common screwdriver to push back in and it fixed the problem.

rich1998

Those connectors are delicate. Just looking at them will tell you that.
I use a jewelers screwdriver to gently pry a connector out. Some years ago I slit the clear plastic tube covering the wires and made the wires look like hoses. My wife had small scissors. The was a tough part to not cut a wire. Black stain on the wires.
The manual tells you, "No reset" The EZ Command was a starter set.
My firsdt set was a starter set. A MRC2K. MRC made better sets.
Bachmann makes the Dynamis.

Rich