News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SYNCHRONIZE 2 LOCO,S

Started by hindmarch, December 27, 2007, 01:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hindmarch

Hello, how do i synchronize 2 locos so that one dosnt push and the other pull,i have tryd setting the parrameters for both loco,s the same but this dosn,t seem to work correctly,hopeing for a little help from the experts,Regards Bryan

SteamGene

Let's start with the basics:
model
Model builder
DC or DCC
Merry Third Day of Christmas
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Nathan

There are going to be any number of correct ways to do this.  If the units are DCC:

The way I do it is to start with the 'default' settings of the decoder.  Set the 'start' point, CV2, so that both units start at speed step '1'.  Put both units on the track and run them at the maximum speed.  Note which one is faster and adjust CV5 down on that unit.  If you can time them over some set distance, note the % faster the fast unt is and adjust the CV5 down by that %.  Rerun the test and make sure you are always adjusting that same units CV5.

If over a 15 to 20 second time frame there is no significant difference, now set both units to run at 'half' speed.  Once more check which unit is faster and adjust that units CV6.

Now check the slowest speed.  Adjust the SLOWER units CV2 up.

You may have to do some minor adjustments of the CV5 and CV6 after setting CV2.  Remember to adjust the proper units CV, you may want to put a 'Post it Note' on the two units to remind your self which CV to adjust on which unit while doing this.

Nathan

One item I forgot.  Some units have a 'forward / reverse' trim, CV95.  If your units run faster or slower in reverse then forward this will adjust them for this problem.  This may impact the matching of the two units, so you may need to check the other CV's if you adjust this.

hindmarch

Hi Nathan and Steam Gene, I am running DCC and useing Digitrax  DH123 series decoders with Bachmann EMD FT and EMD SD40 in double drive,i am still unable to send any pics maybe im too stupid to understand the info from the message board,anyway will keep on trying,Wishing you all a merry christmas and a happy new year ,from a stranded Brit here in Germany.Bryan

SteamGene

Bryan,
Follow Nathan's instructions and read the thread on anachronisms!  :D
Merry Fourth Day of Christmas
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"