News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ track turnouts

Started by richardm, September 29, 2020, 11:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Allen

In Flickr under "Group pool," I just get the option "Copy link address."  I assumed that would be what I wanted.

Terry Toenges

I'm not familiar with Flicker. Copy link address should be what you want. Did you click on the little picture above (When you are in the message box,  (Just below the I))? Then paste the address between the [ img ] and the [ /img ]?
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

The is the address for a pic off the net -
https://api.timeforkids.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/feature-cover_-train-k1.jpg?w=1455&h=970
I put it between the image tags. (I put spaces between the brackets so it wouldn't show the pic yet.)
[ img ]https://api.timeforkids.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/feature-cover_-train-k1.jpg?w=1455&h=970[ /img ]
Now, I remove the spaces from the brackets.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I tried to copy a photo from Flicker but I'm not having any luck with that. Flicker doesn't have the "jpg" in their photo address so it's not working for me. I'm not a Flicker member so maybe that something to do with it. I don't know. You can find it if you right click and go down into "page info" but that gets too complicated to explain.
Feel like a Mogul.

Gary Allen

Layout via AutoCAD.  Haven't figured out how to expand to full page.

Terry Toenges

You're getting there. Are you copying a thumbnail instead of the full image?
Feel like a Mogul.

Gary Allen

This might be a little better.

Terry Toenges

It looks like you figured it out.
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

Now we can see what you have.  Your switches for the spurs are the sharp ones that replace a section of 18" R track, designed for train set ease of drop in without having to cut track sections.  They have plastic frogs.  You can't power them.   I have three of those switches one one of my layouts and and don't like them but keep them because they allow one more car in the hole.  But almost everything on my roster looks incredibly ridiculous passing through something so painfully sharp.

Your crossovers are probably no.6 switches and do have metal frogs but I'm unfamiliar with them.  Look underneath and there probably a little lead wire that you can plug in to power the frog.  My no.5's have it but not sure about the crossovers.

I have 2 point to point layouts.  While I conduct relatively realistic train operations with set outs and pick ups, looking at yours makes me want an oval again.  Where I can just lay back and go brain dead watching the train passing.  On point to point you have to be 125% alert all the time.

Quentin

Still didn't work...

So you're in Oklahoma too? I'm in the Tulsa area, to be vague lol.

-Quentin

P.S. There are a few basements in Oklahoma......

.... because my neighbor has one.
We're...
A...
GREAT BIG ROLLIN RAILROAD, one that EVERYBODY KNOWS

Gary Allen

My uncle, who is no longer with us, had one in Oklahoma City.  A much older house.  The clay soil acts like a big flower pot and causes the basements to flood unless on a hill with some good drainage.  Tulsa is a bit different than western Oklahoma City; Tulsa has "soil."  We don't have anything that could be referred to as soil; just rock-hard clay.

Good info about the possibility of wiring the metal frog on my crossovers.  One of my two trains often momentarily stops when crossing one of my two crossovers.  Always gets going again but it is annoying.  I will take a look for a wire.  If I find one, I might need some help as to where to connect it.

Trainman203

Gary, as you journey through the wonderful world of model railroading, you will become progressively aware of certain immutable principles.  The one at hand that you are discovering right now is the constant stalling at switches principle. 

This is the principle.  If you have a dead frog, the engine wheel momentarily atop it cannot receive power; it is dependent on another wheel to pick up electricity for that exact short moment.  The principle holds that the precise necessary spot for pickup  the second wheel is on will always, by virtue of some bad vibe in the zodiac or some ho scale "depositing" pigeon, ALWAYS have some molecule of crud EXACTLY where contact for continuous operation is needed.

This means that without powered frogs you must assiduously and daily clean the track around the subject switches.  There are many ways to clean track, each with its religiously fervent adherents.  Myself, I like to rub the critical areas with a piece of cork roadbed or a "Cratex" block, both of which are non abrasive.  But you will find your own preferred method.

Quentin

Gary,
What loco is that in the picture of your track? Or what set is it?

It kinda looks like the new "Yard Boss" set, but then again I can't see it very well.

-Quentin

We're...
A...
GREAT BIG ROLLIN RAILROAD, one that EVERYBODY KNOWS

Gary Allen

Quentin, in the foreground: Baldwin 4-6-0, Southern #1087, locomotive & tender.  In the background: Echo Valley Express train set (2-6-0).