News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ track turnouts

Started by richardm, September 29, 2020, 11:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin

Oh, I never saw the one in the background. Thanks for pointing that out.

The Baldwin, how well does that one work? I'm interested in buying one (or more...).

-Quentin
We're...
A...
GREAT BIG ROLLIN RAILROAD, one that EVERYBODY KNOWS

Gary Allen

It seems to run fine.  Speed scale quite a bit different from the Echo Valley train.  Have to crank the speed control knob up further for the same speed.  This causes me to readjust the control each time I switch back and forth between the two trains.  No big deal.  My only complaint is the short and long horns.  The Echo Valley train produces a loud, deep horn that sounds like a real train.  The Baldwin produces a quiet, high pitch "toot" that doesn't sound like a train at all.  It's so quiet, you can't really hear it unless both trains have stopped.  The other sounds are okay.

Quentin

I will probably buy a Baldwin, just probably never use the whistle. Unless there is a way to buy one with just the DCC, no whistle included.

Thanks!

-Quentin
We're...
A...

Gary Allen

Quentin, I should have mentioned that the Baldwin does have a significantly higher likelihood of derailing over turnouts than the Echo Valley train.  Due to very limited space, my track curves and turnouts are all 18 inch radius.  That could be a factor.  Actually, I'm very impressed with the Echo Valley train set after getting the Baldwin.

Quentin

Hmm...

I might just have to get both. I do need 3 more steamers, after all, so this would cut down 2 and leave me with only 1 left to get!

Thanks!

-Quentin
We're...
A...

Trainman203

If you had a more advanced DCC system you could match the engine speeds better and adjust volumes up slightly. Whistle choice 1 is a much louder-recorded 3 chime, but to my western ears that eastern whistle doesn't sound like a train.

The 4-6-0 default whistle is a beautiful deep toned 5 chime but you are right, it's almost inaudible at default volume.  Better decoders have better amplifiers for louder whistles.  I have 5 of those ten wheelers but only two still have the stock decoders.  I never run them because they are so quiet.  Real trains are loud.  And I'm hard of hearing.  I have my engines turned up so high, you can probably hear them out in the yard. 😂😂😂

Trainman203

A more advanced DCC system can allow adjustments to cure all the operational and sound related ills described.