News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track Insulators

Started by lumbergod, January 02, 2008, 06:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumbergod

Hi, I am new to railroading.....with ez track do I have to worry about insulators if I am running dcc? Do I have to be concerned about reversing loops?

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

mikec069

QuoteDo I have to be concerned about reversing loops
As Gene said, 'Yes'.  I am about ready to test my reverse track section.  It's not a loop per se, but it's suposed to reverse the direction of the train while still going forward.  If you decide to add that to your layout you'll need to purchase an auto-revering module to match your DCC Controller.  In other words if you use Bachmann controller you should probably use the Bachmann reverse module.  As well as insulate/isolate the track.  Do a topic search here ussing 'don't understand' for a thread that may provide some useful information.

MikeC

kevin2083

Or you could use a DPDT switch and flip it after the last car that picks up power crosses the insulated joint, and before the locomotive crosses the second gap.

looking at the contacts of a DPDT switch (bottom)
If the drawing is too small to see where the wires go- red wire goes from 1 to 6, orange from 3 to 4.  1 and 4 or 3 and 6 are connected to the green wires, 2 and 5 are connected to the blue wires. numbered from left to right, top then bottom.

blue wires go to the power supply, green wires go to insulated section.

as a note, this can also be used for bi-color LED signals, with only 2 wires going to the signal.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||