News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Pulling Fluff/Hair Off of Side Rods?

Started by Kemptown Branch, October 03, 2020, 11:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kemptown Branch

Hi all,
I recently came into possesion of an 0-6-0 after a club member and personal friend died. The engine works, except there's a lot of fluff on one of the side rods (wrapped around the connecting pin) that I believe is affecting running.

I've been trying to pull it out using an Xacto blade and tweezers/pliers, but I can't quite get it. Does anyone have or know of a better way of getting the fluff out? Thanks!
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

Len

A set of picks can be very helpful with that. Something like these:

Tweezers with a sharp point, sometimes called 'splinter tweezers', like these:

Can also be very handy. Both should be available from places like Micro-Mark on-line, or a local hardware store.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Kemptown Branch

Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

rich1998

I have a couple pair of tweezers from Micro-Mark.
If you never ordered from them, look carefully. They have many good tools and other parts and even Bachmann locos, or use to. Been some time I looked.

Rich

Irbricksceo

I've had to do a LOT of this (pet hair will get into every nook and cranny of everything you own). I my tiny tweezers that I use for electronics repair. Its tough to get 100% of it, but 98% comes off with careful pulling and some patience. I've also found quite a bit wraps around the axles, usually not an issue but I did have to remove the bottom plate of a 2-8-0 to remove a particularly nasty clump once.
Modeling NYC in N

CNE Runner

Hair, fur, and other 'fuzzies' are [unfortunately] very common on most layouts. I spend a lot of time cleaning the track area (track, roadbed, and about 1" to either side), have a good air cleaner in the train room and still get fuzzies. The Bachmann GE 45-ton locomotives have side rods...which love to pick up debris. I find I have to remove the connecting (side) rods on each side of the locomotive occasionally; and, using some of the tools shown above, remove the offending fuzz. This is a time-consuming project that is made easier with a magnifier. [Could it be that, at 75, I can't see as well as I used to? Nah.]

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

rich1998

A lighted Optivisor is really handy. I know.

Rich

Terry Toenges

I've also use an exacto knife to get under the fuzz and turn the blade sideways and pinch the fuzz between the blade and my finger to get it out.
Feel like a Mogul.