News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Railroad revenge on trucks!

Started by Trainman203, October 06, 2020, 01:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jward

I don't know if anybody else noticed but they are all box trucks. Not a CDL holder among them. We know better.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Trainman203

Yes I saw that, all rentals. Someone commented about how the buses made it underneath at speed with cat whisker clearance .

Terry Toenges

Uh oh! I hope I bought that extra insurance!
Feel like a Mogul.

jward

Quote from: Trainman203 on October 06, 2020, 01:39:20 PM
Yes I saw that, all rentals. Someone commented about how the buses made it underneath at speed with cat whisker clearance .
The buses are probably operating on a fixed route. They're city busses. They've probably been operating under that bridge for years. The only ones that come close to clearance are the natural gas ones with the tanks on top. There are alot of bridges like this in Pittsburgh and CLeveland where a bus will fit but a truck won't.

Doesn't matter what i'm driving that day. if the height is less than 13-6 i find another route.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

WoundedBear

Quote from: jward on October 06, 2020, 01:29:31 PM
I don't know if anybody else noticed but they are all box trucks. Not a CDL holder among them. We know better.

Sure, sure, sure you do lolol. Throttle jockeys are all the same. ;D

BTW....I have been subscribed to 11'8" for a few years. It's funny as hell.

https://youtu.be/TvxDhgDjVCA

Sid

James in FL

The possession of a CDL has no bearing on whether or not someone's an idiot driver.
Truck driving schools turn out hundreds a day.
As long as you pay your money you can get certified, many don't deserve to be.

WoundedBear

RAM

Do a search for train go,s under a low bridge.

jward

Quote from: WoundedBear on October 07, 2020, 06:10:39 PM
Even the best trained drivers can do it lol.

https://youtu.be/_osCPYPywnU

Sid

Believe it or not, the military does not require a CDL to drive their vehicles.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rich1998

I use to live in Westfield, MA where a span was lifted four feet. Two lanes under one part, a wide parking lot and two lanes under another section. That section could handle any trailer truck. The low section would flood with down pours. More than once I called 911 when a car thought they could make it. CSX line. One end connects to a Pioneer Valley short line. Weird seeing the old train station someway below the main line.
The Pioneer Valley use to cross and go all the way to New Haven. It is now a Rail trail have ridden on my ebicycle.
I did notice some years ago the crossing was gone when sleeping at night.

Rich

Trainman203

https://digg.com/video/this-train-tries-to-go-under-a-low-clearance-bridge

Does the engineer has any idea what's happening?  Would he notice a slowdown or some power peak?

Who would be responsible for this?  Not the engineer, right?  Or have they started calling those guys train drivers now.

Trainman203

Maybe this video is photoshopped.  I would find this event unimaginable on a railroad with a design engineering department, digital car type tracking, and such.

jward

Quote from: Trainman203 on October 08, 2020, 12:15:45 PM
https://digg.com/video/this-train-tries-to-go-under-a-low-clearance-bridge

Does the engineer has any idea what's happening?  Would he notice a slowdown or some power peak?

Who would be responsible for this?  Not the engineer, right?  Or have they started calling those guys train drivers now.

There was a similar incident in Cumberland, MD a few years back. A train doubling in the yard was routed up the Mountain Subdivision (the line to Grafton) for headroom. Unfortunately, unlike the Keystone Subdivision (the line over Sand Patch to Pittsburgh) the Mountain was never cleared for double stacks, and unlike years past, under Hunter Harrison's tenure CSX started mixing double stacked containers into general freight trains. The end result is that at ;east one road bridge is permanently out of service.

NS has high car detectors at various locations on the system just to curtail incidents like these. The wheel reports don't always indicate excess height cars, and unless the conductor actually walked the train he may not know those cars are in there.

The video appears to be an incident of using an available track for headroom without actually knowing what was in the train.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA